• IMPORTANT: The Buy/Sell forums are now for reference only; all shops are closed here. Please visit the new Marketplace for active buying and selling. Old sellers can access their previous shop links in these forums for setting up new shops in the Marketplace.

Story Time

Gold 2.0

The Immortal Dragon Underdog with a Heart of Steel
Staff member
Mod
Donor
Credits
Have you ever had a story that you wanted to share with the people of the Perfect Pokemon Community?

If so, share it here!

We all have that one random story that we want to tell others, but it never really comes into a conversation. The purpose of this thread is to give those fascinating, exciting, frightening, hilarious, or maybe even emotional stories a home! So go ahead and share one of your own personal experiences that you may find interesting and find out how your fellow members here will react. All stories are welcome as long as they are in coherence to the site's rules! Now without further ado:

Gather up, kids! It's story time!

Nonny

Pokémon Champion
Journalist
Credits
Come one, come all, and I shall tell you the long and not-so-epic story of my very first time playing Dungeons & Dragons.

Around a year ago, I was at an anime convention. It wasn't going too well, in the sense that many of the panels I had planned to attend were cancelled at the last minute, but I thoroughly enjoyed just wandering around and soaking in the atmosphere. I moseyed by this out-of-the-way room with a piece of paper taped to the front labelled "GAME ROOM". I knew where the video game room was, and this was not it. So I peeked inside.

Turns out "GAME ROOM" was referring to tabletop games. There was a group playing Risk, another playing Settlers of Catan, and one group with no board, just paper and dice. I collect dice, and I happened to pick up a set just that day. I asked if I could join their game.

There were no spare character sheets, so they handed me a pre-filled one. I was a Level 3 samurai... I think. I had some trouble reading it. But the GM told me not to sweat the details, quickly explained the basics of what I had to do (just say what your character does when it's his turn to act, and roll whichever dice is appropriate). There were five other people at the table, plus the GM. We got started.

The scenario was this: we were travelling adventurers who wandered into a peaceful-looking town. Only problem was, there were no people there. But scattered around the streets and in several buildings were sheep. Lots and lots of sheep. Human clothing lay in tatters all over. Some of the sheep were wearing hats.

I immediately figured that the human inhabitants of this town had been turned into sheep somehow. I wondered if the sheep could speak. So while the rest of the party looked around, I approached a random sheep and said, "Pardon me. I'm afraid we're a little lost. Could you tell us where we are?"

The sheep stared blankly at me and said, "Beeeh." (The GM's girlfriend laughed and high-fived me for getting her boyfriend to baah like a sheep.)

I shrugged and said, "Well, thanks for trying." I patted the sheep's head and walked away.

But the sheep followed me and nuzzled my hand. I kept walking, and it followed me. Hey. I had a pet, I guess. I took a ribbon off the ground and tied it in a bow around a lock of the sheep's wool on its head.

The GM said, "Are you going to name it?"

"Hm. I guess I should," I said. "But I don't know its gender."

"You could check."

I didn't like the idea of that. I was still convinced this sheep used to be human, and I didn't want to make things awkward if it turned back and remembered how I treated it. So I declined and named the sheep "Bobbert".

The team managed to find a lone human in the tavern, inebriated and rambling about how all these blasted sheep didn't get here until after some mysterious girl settled near the town border and started trading with the local merchants. We figured out where, specifically, the girl lived and decided to investigate.

We got to a run-down castle outside of town and split up, looking for a way in. Bobbert followed me the entire way (even when I told him to "Stay"). We got in, and the room we first stepped into was very crowded. With sheep. Lots and lots of sheep.

We decided to go around them and explore the castle. Some of them wandered outside through the door that we left open. Most of them were curious, and followed us.

There was a suspiciously empty corridor with a locked door. The resident spellcaster found out that there was something potentially dangerous on the other side. The team braced for battle and opened the door.

The room we saw looked like a throne room of some sort, with statues lining the walls. The statues were alive and, judging from the spears they aimed at us, hostile.

I realized that there was no way Bobbert could defend himself or herself from the statues. While everyone else fought back, I picked up my sheep friend and ran back the way we came.

Only now, the corridor was completely packed with the sheep that had followed us.

I tried to wade through the sheep mob, but I tripped and dropped Bobbert. I landed on top of several sheep, so I was basically crowd surfing. Somehow, Bobbert was on my back. I decided to try to wriggle my way to the other side, which counted as a "swim check". I rolled a 20-sided die. I rolled a 4. The result? I fell to the floor. I managed to crawl to the edge of the crowd and get up, but not without taking half my full health in damage from getting stepped on by the shuffling sheep. Bobbert still had the ribbon on his/her head where I had tied it, so I could identify my pal. Who had wandered to the other side of the sheep mob. So I started wading back the other way to get to Bobbert, when I tripped and had to crawl again.

Meanwhile, the rest of the team had finished the battle and found the girl, who was cursed to turn everyone she touched into sheep.

And that is how, while the rest of my adventuring party was having an epic battle with animate statues, I was in the next room, getting trampled to death by a flock of sheep.

At least Bobbert lived.

testing