Active Tips for Competitive Battles

gnmmarechal

Pokémon Champion
Credits
So, even though I've played Pokémon for years, I haven't ever played competitively... So... any tips on building a team?

Indecisive

Pokémon Trainer
Credits
Use Pokemon that can handle common everyday online pokemon,EV train,gather items from Battle Maison that are seen commonly throughout online play such as Focus Sash,Choice Band/Scarf,Life Orb,and Leftovers. Items such as those are definitely essential for competitive play. I'll state my current team,perhaps you could use it as an idea for future reference.

gnmmarechal

Pokémon Champion
Credits
Use Pokemon that can handle common everyday online pokemon,EV train,gather items from Battle Maison that are seen commonly throughout online play such as Focus Sash,Choice Band/Scarf,Life Orb,and Leftovers. Items such as those are definitely essential for competitive play. I'll state my current team,perhaps you could use it as an idea for future reference.
Ok, thanks!
Also, I have a Chandelure, is it a good competitive Pokemon?

Indecisive

Pokémon Trainer
Credits
Goodra @Assault Vest (Bulky Powerhouse)
Modest Gooey Ability
Flamethrower,Dragon Pulse,Sludge Wave,ThunderB

Bisharp @Black Sunglasses (Hard Hitter)
Adamant Defiant Ability
Knock Off,Iron Head,Sucker Punch,Swords Dance

Greninja @Life Orb (Sneaky Sweeper)
Naive Protean Ability
Hydro Pump,Hidden Power Fire,Ice Beam,Gunkshot

Talonflame @Choice Band (Speedy Sweeper)
Adamant Gale Wings Ability
Flare Blitz,Brave Bird,U-turn,Steel Wing

Slowbro @Slowbronite (Never-die Tank Healer)
Bold Shell Armor Ability
Scald,Calm Mind,Slack Off,Icebeam

Sylveon @Leftovers (Punishing Staller)
Careful Pixilate Ability
Wish,Dazzling Gleam,Substitute,Calm Mind

Indecisive

Pokémon Trainer
Credits
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: Special Attack to the max. Then max Speed too for sweeping. Perhaps a little in HP to boost defenses.

Overheat (should KO most pokemon, you can always switch out to reset your Sp.Atk if necessary)
Energy Ball (covers most weaknesses)
Shadow Ball (STAB)
Psychic/Substitute (Stab/Or Protection)

Indecisive

Pokémon Trainer
Credits
Hm..I could help you with a team,state 6 pokemon,and I'll find good movesets,abilities,etc. for them

The Krow

Youngster Joey
Credits
I'm totally new to competitive, however my friend gave me a tip that if you are new to the game it should be as balanced as possible. Two Attackers, Two Defensive, Two Supportive or healers. I have yet to try this but see how it works in my stead friend :3

Indecisive

Pokémon Trainer
Credits
I'm totally new to competitive, however my friend gave me a tip that if you are new to the game it should be as balanced as possible. Two Attackers, Two Defensive, Two Supportive or healers. I have yet to try this but see how it works in my stead friend :3

What is your profile pic?

Matt_192

Official Server Crasher
Staff member
Admin
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Dex Contributor
Credits
If you are looking into competitive, I would suggest that you start by viewing our site tier lists. Most people on the site play OU, which means that anything above OU (i.e. Ubers) is banned from that style of play. If you are looking to start competitive, I would be happy to start a conversation with you and go through roles on a team, prediction, team building, etc. :)

BladenSky

Youngster Joey
Donor
Credits
Matt_192 - I was wondering if you could give me a bit of a hand. I would like to be competitive too, hopefully win some Premier Challenges, Cities, Nats... Not sure where to start on this. Saw you offer to help another, can I beg you for some assistance too?

Matt_192

Official Server Crasher
Staff member
Admin
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Dex Contributor
Credits
Matt_192 - I was wondering if you could give me a bit of a hand. I would like to be competitive too, hopefully win some Premier Challenges, Cities, Nats... Not sure where to start on this. Saw you offer to help another, can I beg you for some assistance too?
Sure! Anyone that needs competitive help, hmu in a convo and I'll help as much as you want :)

BladenSky

Youngster Joey
Donor
Credits
Awesome! Thanks for the assistance. So, I am pretty new to the competitive battling. I have been battling friends and league Pokemon league members, but seem to always loose. I suppose I am just not sure where to start to ask for help. I have no preference on a team. Some of my favs are Blaziken and Greninja, but I am open to anything things that work. I have been reading and trying to digest as much as I can. I see that people talk about Tanks, sweepers, healers and such. But the fact that only one Poke can be out at a time in single battle kind of throws me. My goal would be to become fairly good and be able to place 1st, 2nd, 3rd, in league battles, cities and maybe some regional. Also, i see there are some ONLINE comps that happen occasionally and would like to play in those. I can get whatever team together that you would suggest with whatever items and abilities. I would like to understand the mechanics too :)

testing