• IMPORTANT: The Buy/Sell forums are now for reference only; all shops are closed here. Please visit the new Marketplace for active buying and selling. Old sellers can access their previous shop links in these forums for setting up new shops in the Marketplace.

UU Core Building Help

Nonny

Pokémon Champion
Journalist
Credits
I'm working on a defensive UU core idea, and it has three components: a physical tank, a special tank, and Wish support. I want both of the tanks to be able to put offensive pressure on the opponent, even with majority investment in their bulk.

Here's the core so far:

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Baton Pass
- Scald
- Protect

I chose Vaporeon to be my Wish support because of its awesome HP stat. It can pass large Wishes to its teammates while being able to take both physical and special attacks, unlike Blissey. It's also relatively slow, so its Baton Pass has a chance to heal a teammate at no risk to the teammate.

Aggron @ Aggronite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 240 SpD
Impish Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Tail

Now, Mega Aggron has tons of resistances, the ability Filter after mega evolving, and a frankly ludicrous Defense stat. This is my physical tank. Heavy Slam and Earthquake combine for decent coverage, and Dragon Tail can rack up Stealth Rock damage.

For my special tank, I'm torn between these two:

Goodra @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Thunder Bolt
- Sludge Bomb
- Fire Blast

Dragalge @ Black Sludge
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Sludge Wave
- Scald
- Dragon Tail

I like Dragalge's typing more overall, except that it shares a Ground weakness with Aggron, and nearly everything that likes coverage options runs Earthquake. Dragalge can help Vaporeon spread burns with Scald and help Mega Aggron add up Stealth Rock damage with Dragon Tail. Goodra can afford to invest in SpA thanks to Assault Vest, and it is significantly faster than Dragalge. Goodra also has more natural bulk than Dragalge. However, Goodra's very reliant on its item to function, and Dragalge has access to support options that are locked to Goodra.

Overall, I feel like Goodra's stats are better, but Dragalge is more supportive of its teammates.

So which one do you think would make a better special tank for my core? Should I just test them both on Showdown?

Also, does this core suck? :p

Gold 2.0

The Immortal Dragon Underdog with a Heart of Steel
Staff member
Mod
Donor
Credits
Honestly, I think Goodra and Dragalge's EV spreads should be switched.

Dragalge's adaptability paired with Sludge Wave and Draco Meteor deal huge amounts of damage. It's a better overall attacker imo.

Goodra will still go good chunks if it had max sp def, or you can leave out some Sp Def investment since you have AV and run a little more in special attack.

Other than that, they work well. You might want to add another fairy & ground resist to go along with them, though. I like the core

Nonny

Pokémon Champion
Journalist
Credits
Honestly, I think Goodra and Dragalge's EV spreads should be switched.

Dragalge's adaptability paired with Sludge Wave and Draco Meteor deal huge amounts of damage. It's a better overall attacker imo.

Goodra will still go good chunks if it had max sp def, or you can leave out some Sp Def investment since you have AV and run a little more in special attack.

Other than that, they work well. You might want to add another fairy & ground resist to go along with them, though. I like the core
Thanks for the advice!

I don't really want both Goodra and Dragalge on my team. I'm actually trying to decide which one to keep, and which one not to keep. Which one do you think I should do, if I change up the EVs?

Gold 2.0

The Immortal Dragon Underdog with a Heart of Steel
Staff member
Mod
Donor
Credits
Thanks for the advice!

I don't really want both Goodra and Dragalge on my team. I'm actually trying to decide which one to keep, and which one not to keep. Which one do you think I should do, if I change up the EVs?
I mean for a real good tank I would say Goodra due to its movepool

Skyozuro

Youngster Joey
Credits
UU is definetly my fav tier :)
Not sure if you're done with your team but imma try to help either way.

TLDR; Arcanine, lucario, Chandelure, Crobat, Mandibuzz, Ninjask!

Seeing your team, and assuming you picked vest Goodra, id say potentially nasty plot lucario? Idk if you can see it like me but it would give you another check to fairy, a special attacker with either priority vacuum or dark pulse for coverage. Then again Aggron can check fairy pretty nicely, so getting another fire weakness might not be all that good.

I saw one of your posts talking about crobat/mandibuzz. Id say either one is fine but changes the rest of your team. Flash fire arcanine would be great! You would get fire,grass and water immunity !!! O_O Imagine how frustrating that would be! Maybe Flash Fire chandelure if you want more special attack though. I'd even add a speed boost baton pass ninjask for the frustration i would give to the other team. Lol Hope i helped a bit (prolly not though XD)

Nonny

Pokémon Champion
Journalist
Credits
UU is definetly my fav tier :)
Not sure if you're done with your team but imma try to help either way.

TLDR; Arcanine, lucario, Chandelure, Crobat, Mandibuzz, Ninjask!

Seeing your team, and assuming you picked vest Goodra, id say potentially nasty plot lucario? Idk if you can see it like me but it would give you another check to fairy, a special attacker with either priority vacuum or dark pulse for coverage. Then again Aggron can check fairy pretty nicely, so getting another fire weakness might not be all that good.

I saw one of your posts talking about crobat/mandibuzz. Id say either one is fine but changes the rest of your team. Flash fire arcanine would be great! You would get fire,grass and water immunity !!! O_O Imagine how frustrating that would be! Maybe Flash Fire chandelure if you want more special attack though. I'd even add a speed boost baton pass ninjask for the frustration i would give to the other team. Lol Hope i helped a bit (prolly not though XD)
Thanks for replying! I'm actually trying to naturally breed my team, which is taking forever for some reason, so no, I'm not done yet. But I did decide to choose Goodra over Dragalge.

I see what you're saying about Nasty Plot Lucario. I didn't even think of that one! Too bad about the extra weaknesses to Fire and Ground (the latter of which was my reason for excluding Dragalge in the first place. :( ). It would be one thing to replace Aggron with Lucario, but that would pretty much mean starting over from scratch.

Crobat and Mandibuzz are both being considered because they're both Flying-types, to compliment Aggron's Ground weakness and Vaporeon's Grass weakness, and they both have access to Defog. However, Mandibuzz is much more bulky, while Crobat has much more offensive presence. I'm still on the fence on this one, but I'm starting to lean toward Crobat.

Arcanine is totes awesome! :D Chandelure could work, too, actually. I thought I could include one physical attacker and one special attacker to round out my team, so it sort of depends on my last fighter. I'm leaning toward Arcanine over Chandelure because of its priority. Although, the Arcanine I have has Intimidate, not Flash Fire. Hm.

If I choose Chandelure over Arcanine, then instead of Roserade, I guess I'd choose Heracross. Heracronite is banned from UU anyway (I think), and the only weakness Heracross shares with Chandelure is Ghost. I don't know. What do you think would make a good physical fighter partner for Chandelure?

Skyozuro

Youngster Joey
Credits
I think Chandelure would be best, to check the frequen fighting move coverage, which Aggron is really weak too of course with crobat you got a good check too. But chandelure + mamoswine maybe for more coverage? Or maybe Krookodile? Then again you get more ice weakness... For a little bit of a surprise factor maybe Pangoro. Gives you great STABs, Gunk shot, access to parting shot(which is great imho) but is one more weakness to fairy and fighting.Another big underrated threat in UU is Toxicroak imo. The guy can destroy entire teams with his coverage and typing. Not sure it fits your team though. Maybe a guts/intimidate Luxray? more ground weakness though... Choice Band/Scarf or eviolite scyther? weakness to fire gets higher... My last idea is probably Granbull which packs a punch and has a great mono fairy typing.

Opinions?

Nonny

Pokémon Champion
Journalist
Credits
I think Chandelure would be best, to check the frequen fighting move coverage, which Aggron is really weak too of course with crobat you got a good check too. But chandelure + mamoswine maybe for more coverage? Or maybe Krookodile? Then again you get more ice weakness... For a little bit of a surprise factor maybe Pangoro. Gives you great STABs, Gunk shot, access to parting shot(which is great imho) but is one more weakness to fairy and fighting.Another big underrated threat in UU is Toxicroak imo. The guy can destroy entire teams with his coverage and typing. Not sure it fits your team though. Maybe a guts/intimidate Luxray? more ground weakness though... Choice Band/Scarf or eviolite scyther? weakness to fire gets higher... My last idea is probably Granbull which packs a punch and has a great mono fairy typing.

Opinions?
Hm...

Probably my favorite out of those would be Pangoro. I think my team can cover the Fighting and Fairy weaknesses, if they're reasonably healthy. And its coverage options look fantastic. However, Granbull does feel less risky to me. I'll be less worried about covering its weaknesses than Pangoro's.

Which would you pick? Pangoro or Granbull?

Skyozuro

Youngster Joey
Credits
Pangoro is one of my favourite, so hands down the panda guy. However, team chemistry is something i havent tried out with your team. Id suggest to test both and see what feels best.

Skyozuro

Youngster Joey
Credits
So after a few test runs with this team :

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Baton Pass
- Scald
- Protect

Goodra @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 184 SpA / 76 SpD
Calm Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Thunderbolt
- Sludge Bomb
- Fire Blast

Aggron @ Aggronite
Impish Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Stealth Rock

Crobat @ Black Sludge
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Defog
- Toxic
- Roost

Chandelure @ Choice Specs
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 196 HP / 252 SpA / 60 SpD
Modest Nature
- Flamethrower
- Energy Ball
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Pangoro @ Life Orb
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Parting Shot
- Crunch
- Gunk Shot

I've seen whats your biggest fear of all... Water types. Which are a plenty in UU. You only got coverage for water type with energyball, Tbolt if its not swampert/Quagsire/whiscash. Still gotta find something out. Pretty sure Pangoro isnt what we need here sadly :/

I also tried out Chesnaught. Pretty much just added a much needed coverage. And then i realised, electric immunity was clearly lacking. So i dug deep and found what i think could take your team to a whole new level. Still gotta test it though but Torterra may just be what this teams need to take on UU by storm. I would transfer the stealth rocks to torterra and give aggron stone edge instead. Terra gets life orb, synthesis, woodhammer, rocks and EQ. Like i said, untested

Ary

Scare Queen
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Credits

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Baton Pass
- Scald
- Protect

Goodra @ Assault Vest
Calm Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Thunderbolt
- Sludge Bomb
- Fire Blast

Aggron @ Aggronite
Impish Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Stealth Rock

Crobat @ Black Sludge
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Defog
- Toxic
- Roost

Modest Nature
- Flamethrower
- Energy Ball
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Pangoro @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Parting Shot
- Crunch
- Gunk Shot

I've seen whats your biggest fear of all... Water types. Which are a plenty in UU. You only got coverage for water type with energyball, Tbolt if its not swampert/Quagsire/whiscash. Still gotta find something out. Pretty sure Pangoro isnt what we need here sadly :/

I also tried out Chesnaught. Pretty much just added a much needed coverage. And then i realised, electric immunity was clearly lacking. So i dug deep and found what i think could take your team to a whole new level. Still gotta test it though but Torterra may just be what this teams need to take on UU by storm. I would transfer the stealth rocks to torterra and give aggron stone edge instead. Terra gets life orb, synthesis, woodhammer, rocks and EQ. Like i said, untested
Why not swap in a 252spA/252speed galvan with bug buzz/tbolt/energyball/sticky web :p with sash of course

Well tbolt or thunder cause compound eyes ability

Nonny

Pokémon Champion
Journalist
Credits

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Baton Pass
- Scald
- Protect

Goodra @ Assault Vest
Calm Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Thunderbolt
- Sludge Bomb
- Fire Blast

Aggron @ Aggronite
Impish Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Stealth Rock

Crobat @ Black Sludge
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Defog
- Toxic
- Roost

Modest Nature
- Flamethrower
- Energy Ball
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Pangoro @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Parting Shot
- Crunch
- Gunk Shot

Why not swap in a 252spA/252speed galvan with bug buzz/tbolt/energyball/sticky web :p with sash of course

Thanks for doing the test run, @Skyozuro! You didn't have to do that. :)

Wow, why didn't I think of Torterra? That makes a lot of sense! I really should start testing my teams on Showdown before trying to breed them. Duh, Nonny. :/

@Ary, I like that idea, but who am I replacing? Chandelure or Torterra/Pangoro? I kinda feel like my team would be crushed by Swampert without a Grass-type attacker. (Chandelure doesn't count. :p)

EDIT: Sorry! Didn't see Energy Ball on Galvantula! What's up with me this morning. >_>

I'm going to make this team (and some variants of it) on Showdown and do some test runs. You guys are awesome! :D

Skyozuro

Youngster Joey
Credits

The problem is see with galvantula is his inability to take hits very well, the team is still lacking a volt switch immunity (and overall electric immunity), the fact that fire would become and even bigger threat.
Since it's a special attacker and the team absolutely needs a physical attacker in the last spot cause aggron is more defensive than offensive in @Nonny 's core. I have yet to see aggron one shot somebody even with stab super effective they way i spread it's EVs. Maybe with a more physically offensive build it would pack the punch needed, but in that case the missing ingredient would be a physical tank and not a special attacker like galvantula.

And if you want to switch Chandelure with galvantula, you lose on a fire immunity, which is great for aggron's weakness, a spin blocker, which helps a lot, and a bit more of an offensive threat movepool wise.

Potentially should change the specs to a scarf on chandelure though ;)
No problem @Nonny, i didnt have anything to do yesterday in the evening, so i just felt like trying it ;)
I love teambuilding <3

Nonny

Pokémon Champion
Journalist
Credits
The problem is see with galvantula is his inability to take hits very well, the team is still lacking a volt switch immunity (and overall electric immunity), the fact that fire would become and even bigger threat.
Since it's a special attacker and the team absolutely needs a physical attacker in the last spot cause aggron is more defensive than offensive in @Nonny 's core. I have yet to see aggron one shot somebody even with stab super effective they way i spread it's EVs. Maybe with a more physically offensive build it would pack the punch needed, but in that case the missing ingredient would be a physical tank and not a special attacker like galvantula.

And if you want to switch Chandelure with galvantula, you lose on a fire immunity, which is great for aggron's weakness, a spin blocker, which helps a lot, and a bit more of an offensive threat movepool wise.

Potentially should change the specs to a scarf on chandelure though ;)
No problem @Nonny, i didnt have anything to do yesterday in the evening, so i just felt like trying it ;)
I love teambuilding <3
Originally, my two attackers were going to be Arcanine and Roserade, both for their speed and power, plus Arcanine has Extreme Speed. That way, I'd have a physical attacker and a special attacker, though Roserade wouldn't resist Ground-type attacks. I think I'll make a team variant with those two instead of Chandelure and Torterra, just to see what happens. Though that would mean putting Stealth Rocks back on Aggron. Meh.

Also, I'm considering not just putting a scarf on Chandelure, but also changing its EVs around for more Speed investment and/or giving it a Timid nature. I'm not sure I like having a naturally frail teammate going second if I can help it.

So I've got three versions of this team to playtest: the one you came up with, including Torterra; the same thing, but with Choice Scarf, Timid Nature, and maximum Speed investment in Chandelure; and one where Arcanine and Roserade replace Chandelure and Torterra.

LET'S GET DANGEROUS

testing