• IMPORTANT: The Buy/Sell forums are now for reference only; all shops are closed here. Please visit the new Marketplace for active buying and selling. Old sellers can access their previous shop links in these forums for setting up new shops in the Marketplace.

Giratina O in OU was an April Fools Joke

Giratina O in OU was an April Fools Joke

Published 
Okay, I think the time has come to reveal the joke. Yes, this suspect test wasn't serious. We aren't crazy, or at least not crazy enough to test something like Giratina-Origin for OU. To make the prank sound more beliveable, we chose to announce the test a few days before April 1st and to actually add a Suspect Ladder with Giratina-O unbanned.

If anything, during these 2 days of testing we've learnt a few things:
  • Giratina-O might not be as broken as some of us would have thought;
  • some people in this community are literally hysterical;
  • I'm honestly a genius for coming up with such brilliant idea (no, wait, we knew this already);
  • @tennisace's puns suck.
Major shoutouts to those who were able to identify the hidden phrase in the OP, @PokefanAidan and @Minority Suspect in particular. You guys forced me to stealth edit my post to keep the joke going.

Thanks to Smogon Senior Staff and to the OU staff team for playing along. This was definitely funny.

Happy April Fools' Day!
Ok, so I did consider this to be an April Fools joke the moment I saw it being brought down into OU. Giratina O is just such a powerful Pokemon in both base stat total, and coverage. However in dealing with it for the past couple of days, I can say with utmost certainty that Giratina isn't as broken as many would believe at first sight. Due to limited item (when it really just wants things like specs, scarf, and leftovers), mediocre speed, and a vulnerable typing, Giratina actually seemed like a fairly balanced Pokemon in the tier. Yes it's combination of bulk and power is pretty ridiculous and it's support options were pretty insane, but it was pretty easily worn down over time and was weak to what many consider the best type in the current metagame.

Now slightly broken is still broken, but I hope that this test has opened the eyes of some OU tiering people for future suspect testing prospects. I really think that this was an interesting idea even if it was a joke. Maybe in the future we can get tests for thing like Aegislash or some of the bad Arceus forms (maybe). This outside the box suspect testing made for one of the only enjoyable metagames that smogon has had in months.

Gold 2.0

The Immortal Dragon Underdog with a Heart of Steel
Staff member
Mod
Donor
Credits
Ok, so I did consider this to be an April Fools joke the moment I saw it being brought down into OU. Giratina O is just such a powerful Pokemon in both base stat total, and coverage. However in dealing with it for the past couple of days, I can say with utmost certainty that Giratina isn't as broken as many would believe at first sight. Due to limited item (when it really just wants things like specs, scarf, and leftovers), mediocre speed, and a vulnerable typing, Giratina actually seemed like a fairly balanced Pokemon in the tier. Yes it's combination of bulk and power is pretty ridiculous and it's support options were pretty insane, but it was pretty easily worn down over time and was weak to what many consider the best type in the current metagame.

Now slightly broken is still broken, but I hope that this test has opened the eyes of some OU tiering people for future suspect testing prospects. I really think that this was an interesting idea even if it was a joke. Maybe in the future we can get tests for thing like Aegislash or some of the bad Arceus forms (maybe). This outside the box suspect testing made for one of the only enjoyable metagames that smogon has had in months.
They got everyone.

Sweet lord xD

Matt_192

Official Server Crasher
Staff member
Admin
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Dex Contributor
Credits
Inb4 this announcement is an April Fools Joke ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

testing