• IMPORTANT: The Buy/Sell forums are now for reference only; all shops are closed here. Please visit the new Marketplace for active buying and selling. Old sellers can access their previous shop links in these forums for setting up new shops in the Marketplace.

Question about Gyms and Counter Teams

BlackMoon25

Youngster Joey
Credits
I'm still new to the site (joined less than a few hours before the creation of this thread.) So I've been just kind of working my way around all the different parts of these forums and looking at threads and the Gym Battle area caught my eye. I never really bothered with competitive battling (however I know all about it) and I was thinking this gym idea seems a little intriguing. My question though is, most gyms (if not all) say that if you use at least 3 STAB attacks on different pokemon of yours with type advantage over the gym you get a CT mark. Ok that's understandable because hey, monotype pokemon right? However, if I used a full type advantage team (for example all water against the fire gym) but didn't use (or severely limited) water type attacks, would it still count as a CT or not? Since fire is weak against water it's type advantage but pokemon aren't limited to just stab attacks (that would be a little scary and broken if they were =_=) So how does that work?

Cheza

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Team Elite
Will Not Fall
Trusted Seller
Donor
Friendzilla
Smaug
Journalist
Credits
I'm still new to the site (joined less than a few hours before the creation of this thread.) So I've been just kind of working my way around all the different parts of these forums and looking at threads and the Gym Battle area caught my eye. I never really bothered with competitive battling (however I know all about it) and I was thinking this gym idea seems a little intriguing. My question though is, most gyms (if not all) say that if you use at least 3 STAB attacks on different pokemon of yours with type advantage over the gym you get a CT mark. Ok that's understandable because hey, monotype pokemon right? However, if I used a full type advantage team (for example all water against the fire gym) but didn't use (or severely limited) water type attacks, would it still count as a CT or not? Since fire is weak against water it's type advantage but pokemon aren't limited to just stab attacks (that would be a little scary and broken if they were =_=) So how does that work?
A counter team would be 3 or more Pokemon who have super effective typing against the type you're challenging. :)

Therefore, if you brought a full team of water types against the fire type, even if you limited the amount of water type moves on your pokemon, you would have a counter team.

However, if you bring pokemon with super effective moves, but don't get the stab boost, it wouldn't be a counter. My favourite example being dark pulse rotom wash against the psychic gym. While this rotom is clearly running moves that it wouldn't normally run for the purpose of move type advantage, it would not be marked as a counter pokemon because rotom isn't dark type.

BlackMoon25

Youngster Joey
Credits
Ah I see, thank you kindly for clearing that up for me didn't think about going the route of non-stab but super effective attacks.

testing