Active -'s Detective Pikachu Review

Would you like to see this game ported to the west?

• Yeah!

• Nah.

Results are only viewable after voting.
K

Krelbit

Story
It was ok. That's pretty much all I can say about Detective Pikachu.
It's a bit gritty which was cool to see in a such kid-orientated series as pokemon. 8/10. There's a decent amount of character development but it's too upfront, instead of slowly fed to you like a progressive game would do. It kind of shows that nintendo wanted this to be one-off and won't add much more to it other than probably a few DLC cases.

I mean, at least I know what happens to my missing parent in this one.
Your dad's dead.
There only 3 cases in the whole game, but hell, it was $10.
Plus they let me read it in hiragana because my kanji blows. Definite plus.

Gameplay
Gameplay gets 6/10. The bias in this being I've been playing a bit too many games with puzzles lately. Maybe an 7/10 otherwise, but for now, 6/10. The game just isn't long enough to get stale on me. The play style is very much like many other detective/puzzle games I've been through, but with pokemon elements in them.

Music
The music is nice. Reminds me of Pokemon music (I wonder why...) 8/10. Nothing to say here, nothing to complain about. It's no Majora's mask, but it's pleasant. Like AC music.

Graphics

The graphics are a mixed point with me, but the pokemon company successfully pulled it off. 8/10. Parts of the game are puzzle type graphics, and a portion of it is spent in 3d sidescrolling mode, which I found amusing since they don't go together all that commonly.

Deep voiced talking pikachu will scar me somewhere, and somehow. I got over it fairly quickly though.

First game review I've written, maybe you'd like more sometime?

It's unlike this game will get a western localization for a while now. Translation's a bitch. It takes time and money, which Nintendo do have, but they haven't had a major hit to fund a Detective Pikachu localization in a while. So, the only way to play it will be in Japanese for now, unless modders step up and translte it for us.

The game's very story orientated, so vocabulary and grammar are very important.
This game requires a somewhat moderate grasp of the japanese knowledge. I constantly found myself whipping out my D(ictionary) during the game. As it is grittier and darker as a game, it must be aimed at an older target audience, and therefore a bit more grammatically advanced. Don't try this game if you're just learning Japanese. It'll deter you from trying to learn because it's a bit harder.

Meitantei Pikachu: ~Shin konbi tanjou~
Gameplay: 6/10
Graphics: 8/10
Music: 8/10
Story: 7/10
Overall: 7 1/4

Last edited by a moderator:

Arceusrsz

Pokémon Trainer
Credits
kek that pikachu voice scares the hell out of me. good review tho

Kitgurl66