• IMPORTANT: The Buy/Sell forums are now for reference only; all shops are closed here. Please visit the new Marketplace for active buying and selling. Old sellers can access their previous shop links in these forums for setting up new shops in the Marketplace.

How's it hangin', Perfect Pokemon?

Giovanni

Honorable
Credits
I hate waiting forever to breed, but I wasn't the one doing RNGing though. That was one of my friends. I am known as Nine Inch Nailed on Nugget Bridge, so I am no stranger to competitive pokemon playing. Keldeo was banned in VGC.

Snewgon

Pokémon Trainer
Credits
I was referring to smogon singles. Let's take our conversation elsewhere if we continue it though - this is supposed to be an introduction thread ^^

doulie

King of the Ring
Staff member
Admin
Credits
@Xon i could not have asked for a better introduction. I almost want to sticky this post as a template on how introductions should be written :p.

I see you are already off to a solid start, i know you will fit in nicely at Perfect Pokemon.
#Welcome

Reactions: Xon

Xon

Youngster Joey
Credits
The trick is to maintain consistent activity and maintain an open and welcoming atmosphere while (as much as some may complain) keeping an active staff that can keep the peace without ticking users off. It's a hard balance to manage and I've seen whole forums fail as a result of poor management (either too much *coughPojo* or too little *coughPalletTribune*), and we're also trying to compete for membership with the likes of Smogon, Nugget Bridge, GameFAQs, etc., so that's a something to keep vigilant about.

Still, I hope this place can find its niche and the credit system is definitely something that separates this place from others.

Giovanni

Honorable
Credits
I have heard of PalletTribune, but not Pojo. I am a member of Smogon and Nugget Bridge, but I barely go there.

Xon

Youngster Joey
Credits
Pojo was where I started... I think it was 8 years ago? Whatever. It's mostly a TCG forum with a huge focus on Yu-gi-oh, but it also has a Pokemon TCG and VG section to it, which is where I ended up migrating to. Due to issues with an overzealous moderating staff and internal struggles between users the entire segment of the forum went from being fairly active (1000+ users daily) to a complete dead zone, which is really unfortunate because I remember quite a few good players getting their start there, like KillerNacho.

Honestly I don't know how relevant that name is anymore since it was ages ago, but meh.

Giovanni

Honorable
Credits
Nugget Bridge is at least alive for the elite VGC players. Smogon is very inactive compared to Nugget Bridge.

Xon

Youngster Joey
Credits
Funny, considering how much of a chokehold Smogon has on the Singles metagame.

Giovanni

Honorable
Credits
Smogon is very inactive with their bulletin board. They however do have a stranglehold on the singles and doubles metagame. I honestly want a different site then Smogon.

Xon

Youngster Joey
Credits
At this point I feel it's more of a legacy thing than anything else. Smogon has pretty much always been the de-facto competitive battling standard so much so that's it's ingrained in most players whether it makes sense or not.

Giovanni

Honorable
Credits
I know what you mean. It is a monopoly on the singles metagame and I hate that. Everyone follows their standards for OU.

Jiggly

Pokémon Master
Donor
Credits
Well... It's all that we really got! I mean, try to make your own competitive standards and see if they work out, or if anyone follows them.

Xon

Youngster Joey
Credits
There's always Battle Spot and VGC. :D

That said, not complaining. I actually think several of the rules and clauses make perfect sense and should be implemented in all PvP battles, i.e. Sleep Clause. My concern with Smogon, at least with this generation, is the significant lack of testing and community input as to what Pokemon, items, etc. get the axe. Every new ban this gen has been the direct result of a dramatically small number of persons making a decision with no warning and no suspect testing as opposed to what I remember from Gen 4. Back then nothing really happened without an extensive testing period.

Anyway, this probably isn't the thread to have this discussion, although it's definitely an interesting one.

Jiggly

Pokémon Master
Donor
Credits
Yea, I see you. I really don't understand why mega khan and gengar were banned, because it was really easy to counter them. Kahn could hit twice, so he was instantly rid off, and mega gengar had SHADOW TAG!!! Smogon instantly went, "Nope, to the depths of Ubers you go, to never be used again!"

Giovanni

Honorable
Credits
Mega Kangaskhan can break through the ghost walls allowed currently in OU. The only one that comes to mind as a counter is cofagrigus with mummy. Mega gengar I really don't know about, but both of them would be rated in the S class of OU on Smogon. Both break the best walls in OU.

Jiggly

Pokémon Master
Donor
Credits
Ya, they're good, but not unstoppable... I think its unfair to ban them...

testing