• IMPORTANT: The Buy/Sell forums are now for reference only; all shops are closed here. Please visit the new Marketplace for active buying and selling. Old sellers can access their previous shop links in these forums for setting up new shops in the Marketplace.

Active Do people care about completing their Pokedex?

Do you "Gotta catch 'em all"?

• Total voters

KillJoyNoel

Pokémon Trainer
Credits
Hi everyone,

This is just a general question that's been intriguing me. I started playing pokemon as a kid years ago as well as watching the anime etc. Back then, I was very much of a mindset of "gotta catch 'em all", and since I've started playing the newer versions recently, that has carried through to my present day gaming.

I'm not as enthusiastic as I was, but only because a lot of the pokemon are unfamiliar to me.

So I was wondering, does anyone else really care about their pokedex? The site seems very driven by battles and pokegenning, whereas for me, I just like to the play the game as I used to, before I even knew about things like EVs and IVs, and before natures existed etc.

I'm also trying to get 1 of every species, I've currently got everything from gen 1-3 (except Porygon2) and then a subset of everything else, with a total of 600+ Pokedex entries.

Dom

The People's Champ
Staff member
Admin
Trusted Seller
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Let It Reign
Iron Will
Credits
Hi everyone,

This is just a general question that's been intriguing me. I started playing pokemon as a kid years ago as well as watching the anime etc. Back then, I was very much of a mindset of "gotta catch 'em all", and since I've started playing the newer versions recently, that has carried through to my present day gaming.

I'm not as enthusiastic as I was, but only because a lot of the pokemon are unfamiliar to me.

So I was wondering, does anyone else really care about their pokedex? The site seems very driven by battles and pokegenning, whereas for me, I just like to the play the game as I used to, before I even knew about things like EVs and IVs, and before natures existed etc.

I'm also trying to get 1 of every species, I've currently got everything from gen 1-3 (except Porygon2) and then a subset of everything else, with a total of 600+ Pokedex entries.

It's a fun thing to do for completionists and maybe people who aren't super busy I'd say, those things never appeal to me because playing video games should be fun and it just seems like a chore (to me personally).

I think if this was red or blue I'd be game but with the number of pokemon soaring to new heights, it can get overwhelming and super time consuming. Also I have a cheating device and those take away from some of the glory xD

KillJoyNoel

Pokémon Trainer
Credits
It's a fun thing to do for completionists and maybe people who aren't super busy I'd say, those things never appeal to me because playing video games should be fun and it just seems like a chore (to me personally).

I think if this was red or blue I'd be game but with the number of pokemon soaring to new heights, it can get overwhelming and super time consuming. Also I have a cheating device and those take away from some of the glory xD

Yeah, I've always been a bit of a completionist myself, and I never managed to do it as a kid (Mew was always elusive!), I enjoy it for a while and then when i get bored I just do something else for a bit.

With their being so many of them now, it is a mammoth task though, there's lots that require catching evolved forms and breeding to get the original forms, which is pretty tedious, and you don't get a feel for their movepool (unless you look it up).

Haha I think the cheating devices will mean that most here have a similar answer to you, I don't have one so it does feel like an accomplishment. That said, I need you guys to help me out with all the legendaries that I can never get - it's a good system for me! :)

Reactions: Dom

noobdoo

Pokémon Champion
Credits
To be honest, not really, but in my current ORAS run I have been trying to collect as many as I can.

Sewage

Pokémon Champion
Will Not Fall
Donor
Journalist
Credits
For me it seemed like an extremely daunting and time consuming task so I didn't really start going at it hard until I noticed I was already well over hallway done and just decided to finish it. I think when I decided to finish I was just short of 500 and the time it took to obtain the remaining pokes makes me think I would have gone insane if I started from the beginning with my main purpose being completing the dex.

Dewott

Youngster Joey
Credits
I really only started trying to complete the Pokèdex for the shiny charm and I'm that person who has to make a list to keep track or I'll attempt to evolve Pokémon for the dex and I already have them. I don't attempt to obtain Pokémon I need though because I'm lazy :p.

ericashes

Staff member
Mod
Will Not Fall
Journalist
Dex Contributor
Credits
I used psaves to complete mine, but I am half way to making a battle ready 6 iv of each pokemon.

Steveb175

Youngster Joey
Credits
I did back in the original Ruby Version on the Gameboy Advanced, but now that there are over 700 pokemon, I don't even care enough to try.

ericashes

Staff member
Mod
Will Not Fall
Journalist
Dex Contributor
Credits
I did back in the original Ruby Version on the Gameboy Advanced, but now that there are over 700 pokemon, I don't even care enough to try.

could do it fast with breeding if you really wanted

Menno Bosje

Youngster Joey
Credits
I've played several pokemon games but i've never completed a pokedex .. Now playing OR and i'm seriously gonna try my best to do it for the first time ! It gives an extra good feeling ^^

ericashes

Staff member
Mod
Will Not Fall
Journalist
Dex Contributor
Credits
I've played several pokemon games but i've never completed a pokedex .. Now playing OR and i'm seriously gonna try my best to do it for the first time ! It gives an extra good feeling ^^
how far are you :D?

Prototype22

The Cyborg
Credits
Never completed a dex so I'm not really into completing it but now that there's a shiny charm reward I'm gonna complete it!

Jord

Pokémon Trainer
Credits
I bought Oras which is the first 3ds game i have, and now i started playing with a friend from school and we help each other to finish the pokedex so that we can get shiny charm which is of course very cool ^^

testing