• IMPORTANT: The Buy/Sell forums are now for reference only; all shops are closed here. Please visit the new Marketplace for active buying and selling. Old sellers can access their previous shop links in these forums for setting up new shops in the Marketplace.

Active Idea Thread: How to Keep Gyms Active

Gym Leader Suggestions

• Total voters

Cheza

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Team Elite
Will Not Fall
Trusted Seller
Donor
Friendzilla
Smaug
Journalist
Credits
Many people over the last few months have complained about the inactivity of the perfect Pokemon gyms, so lets all brain storm together and come up with some suggestions to fix the problem.

@Yungfaux and I were thinking a registration thread could help in a way, similar to applying for a position on the site (like mod) you would apply on the registration thread with what gym you would like to run. You would be tested in a battle and activity on the site would be checked before you could pass as a gym leader.

If someone wishes to take a gym with a current leader they would first have to pass the registration and explain that they would like to take over the gym before continuing on with the basic 2/3 match for the position.

Perhaps a new banner could be given to those as gym leaders, letting more people know that you are a gym leader and getting more challenges, helping people from getting bored and going inactive.

This is the main idea we had and will probably add onto this later.

If you'd like to see change in the Gym Leader System and have an idea you think could help post below! Remember that no idea or suggestion is a wrong one. So be nice everyone! :)

Dom

The People's Champ
Staff member
Admin
Trusted Seller
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Let It Reign
Iron Will
Credits
I suggested one that a lot of people have agreed with but didn't get very much recognition:

There would only be 8 Leaders and an Elite Four then the Champ so we would effectively have less positions meaning less empty positions

The leaders would be reset and anyone interested would need to try out and use their own type for the gym as long as it doesn't conflict with the other gyms and elite four

I think less positions and different ranks would lead to more active leaders and more selective/better ones as well

Cheza

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Team Elite
Will Not Fall
Trusted Seller
Donor
Friendzilla
Smaug
Journalist
Credits
I suggested one that a lot of people have agreed with but didn't get very much recognition:

There would only be 8 Leaders and an Elite Four then the Champ so we would effectively have less positions meaning less empty positions

The leaders would be reset and anyone interested would need to try out and use their own type for the gym as long as it doesn't conflict with the other gyms and elite four

I think less positions and different ranks would lead to more active leaders and more selective/better ones as well

I like this idea, if there would only be 8 Gyms and the Elite Four what would the types be? Would that be something voted upon by the public or by the staff and mods?

Would the Elite Four also use mono types or since the are a different rank would they use regular teams (without an uber) so that they are more challenging and people couldn't counter team their way to the top. Meaning they would need to know how to battle.

With this idea I think a registration could still help out a lot and could be kept up to date a lot better with less positions. Banners are really cool too and there could be two different ones, one for "Elite Four" and one for "Gym Leader" :)

Dom

The People's Champ
Staff member
Admin
Trusted Seller
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Let It Reign
Iron Will
Credits
I like this idea, if there would only be 8 Gyms and the Elite Four what would the types be? Would that be something voted upon by the public or by the staff and mods?

Would the Elite Four also use mono types or since the are a different rank would they use regular teams (without an uber) so that they are more challenging and people couldn't counter team their way to the top. Meaning they would need to know how to battle.

With this idea I think a registration could still help out a lot and could be kept up to date a lot better with less positions. Banners are really cool too and there could be two different ones, one for "Elite Four" and one for "Gym Leader" :)

The types could be chosen somehow maybe a vote or variety or something, or the leaders could pick. I didn't put too much thought into it since no one acknowledged it tbh

Cheza

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Team Elite
Will Not Fall
Trusted Seller
Donor
Friendzilla
Smaug
Journalist
Credits
The types could be chosen somehow maybe a vote or variety or something, or the leaders could pick. I didn't put too much thought into it since no one acknowledged it tbh

haha that's OK, if you want to brain storm some more ideas about it I'll do my best to make it happen. Even if I can get the go ahead from doulie (if he is OK with the idea) I could get a few mods to help me out with setting it all up.

Let the current gym leaders know that they can reply right away if they have been active with their gym (they get first dibs for their test). We would definitely need you for the testing since you're pretty good at that along with one or more testers :D

Maybe the people applying for gym leader could pick the type they would like to use. If someone wants a gym with a type that isn't made and all 8 gym leader positions are already taken they could take on any of the current leaders, if they win with that mono type they can choose to change the type of the gym? This is a buggy part lol

Or maybe only gyms that have a possible uber pokemon could be available? I think the Elite Four should make 2 to 3 teams that they can switch between that are not mono typed and without an uber?

jakegow1

Pokémon Champion
Donor
Credits
I am glad a thread like this is up. Was going to start my own one before I saw this. I know the gym idea is like an extra activity, but it's kind of one of the things that makes this site special, if it was done correctly, you would probably see an influx of new members wanting to take on the gym leaders and try and become the best on the site.
I do feel the gym members and elite four idea is fantastic, once more members have joined, or if you find that you have enough active members, you could always add more on after.
Is there no way to delete old gym leaders threads. It's all a little messy right now and a little hard to figure out exactly who is and isn't active.
Maybe the best thing to do is instead of gym leaders just taking battles here and there, designate times that they are free and people can apply for a time slot. I know it is impossible to know if a gym leader will always make them, but it adds a bit more structure and will make things more workable for everyone.
I feel the gym leader should get to choose their gym type, I don't think the vote is right, maybe you could work out who the elite four and gym leaders will be, then the 12 of you could all discuss who will be what, seems more fair.
Don't know if I have helped, but the gym leader thing is great, if you can improve it, it will improve the site.

Cheza

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Team Elite
Will Not Fall
Trusted Seller
Donor
Friendzilla
Smaug
Journalist
Credits
I am glad a thread like this is up. Was going to start my own one before I saw this. I know the gym idea is like an extra activity, but it's kind of one of the things that makes this site special, if it was done correctly, you would probably see an influx of new members wanting to take on the gym leaders and try and become the best on the site.
I do feel the gym members and elite four idea is fantastic, once more members have joined, or if you find that you have enough active members, you could always add more on after.
Is there no way to delete old gym leaders threads. It's all a little messy right now and a little hard to figure out exactly who is and isn't active.
Maybe the best thing to do is instead of gym leaders just taking battles here and there, designate times that they are free and people can apply for a time slot. I know it is impossible to know if a gym leader will always make them, but it adds a bit more structure and will make things more workable for everyone.
I feel the gym leader should get to choose their gym type, I don't think the vote is right, maybe you could work out who the elite four and gym leaders will be, then the 12 of you could all discuss who will be what, seems more fair.
Don't know if I have helped, but the gym leader thing is great, if you can improve it, it will improve the site.

Setting up a time for battle is always a great idea for gym leaders! It works better than trying to catch the person online when they are not busy doing something.
:)

testing