Active The Bros that SMASH!

Jiggly

Pokémon Master
Donor
Credits
Hey all, I am a big smash bros fan! I figured most of you are too, so here is a thread to HYPE up the 4th game!!! Below we will talk about everything smash related, come up with cool mechanics, gossip about rumors, etc.

REVAMP: The demo has released, feel free to explain thoughts and such. This will also be a place to find opponents to smash against once the full game is out in America, and if this gets a lot of support, I am hoping to host tournies!

Last edited:

Jiggly

Pokémon Master
Donor
Credits
Do you guys think there is going to be 5 pokemon reps, due to Mario having 5 reps???

Rommulox

Pokémon Master
Team Elite
Trusted Seller
Credits
Looking forward to this game as well. I heard it's supposed to release this year, so I guess we'll see if it gets rushed or delayed or whatever.

Jiggly

Pokémon Master
Donor
Credits
Looking forward to this game as well. I heard it's supposed to release this year, so I guess we'll see if it gets rushed or delayed or whatever.
I'm pretty sure it will come out AFTER E3 to have a last hype overload.

Jiggly

Pokémon Master
Donor
Credits
BUMP

Unproxied

Tier 1
Trusted Seller
Donor
Credits
YO!

The demo is sick dude. Mario is probably my favorite out of the 5 playable characters. The game is bringing back memories of SSBM on GameCube for me.

It's definitely a must buy on day 1. Oh the nostalgia.

Stellar

Mr. Steal Your Girl
Trusted Seller
Donor
Credits
Meta Knight, or Mario are my players. :D Also want Solid Snake back

Cheza

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Team Elite
Will Not Fall
Trusted Seller
Donor
Friendzilla
Smaug
Journalist
Credits
Do you mean the public demo has been released?! I have a character I want to practice with! O.O

Jiggly

Pokémon Master
Donor
Credits
I really want to play greninja, Duck Hunt Dog, and Diddy Kong

Jiggly

Pokémon Master
Donor
Credits
Out of the 5 in the demo, how woul you tank tem???

1. pikachu
Amazing combo potential, and the best off stage battler out of all of the five. He can easily gimp Mega man, link, and Mario with his nair and Bair
2. Mario
Best combos out of the five, with great kills and back throw for edge guarding fun.
3. Villager
Very unique, great at gimping with dropping bowlin balls off stage, and the best recovery of the 5. He lacks good sure fire kill power, putting him low.
4. Link
Definitely better this iteration. His moves are more satisfying, with less end lag. Although, his moves are very predictable and he can be easily dodged if the opponent knows what they are doing. Lacks the best recovery, but it doesn't drag him down too much.
5. Megaman
Now this guy isn't bad, but 3 of the characters counter him hard up the ass, and pikachu is fast an nimble to easily dodge all the moves. I think he will be a lot better when the full cast is open, but right now he is a bad joke compared to the rest of the cast. Easy to gimp, weak specials, but amazing aerials.

Martin

I'm just kinda here
Donor
Credits
IDK why Mega Man is at the bottom of the list and I've actually found that he has a great matchup VS Link and Mario. Also, why are Pikachu and Mario so high? Pikachu, while just as obnoxious to face as ever, has had a nerf to two of his best moves (Thunder and Down Smash) and he si a lot worse than he was before as a result. Also Mario is actually rather mediocre outside of sudden death, where he has argubly the easiest time of all.

If I were to write tiers for the demo, this is how I would put them:
edit: f**k the old format. I'm changing it in this reordering.

A-Rank:

1. Pikachu
2. Mega Man

B-Rank:

3. Link
4. Villager

C-Rank:

5.Mario

Changelog:
  • Pikachu: 2 → 1
  • Link: 1 → 3
  • Mega Man: 3 → 2

Last edited:

Jiggly

Pokémon Master
Donor
Credits
Mario has an atrocious up tilt combo. It can rack up 40% easy. On bowser it can get almost 70%. He has quick aerials, amazing rolls to f smash.
Link is okay, but his slow start up, super punishable moves, and limited recovery kind of lowers him. He is good against CPUs, but if you go against a human player, you're gonna get fucked up.
Pikachu is high, but Mario may be above him, idk yet still testing. His thunder was always unreliable for KO, as it was an easy punish move, with lots of start up. Again, it works against CPUs, but not in competitive scene. Same with down smash, not that great. Pikachu is more of an aerial character. His nair is amazing, great up tilt for combo lead. His up throw can get people up to the thunder cloud at high percentage for a spike and kill. Pikachu has the most versatility, and the best off stage game in the demo. With 3 characters lacking amazing recovery, pikachu can easy nair spam to gimp with easy quick attack recovery.

Martin

I'm just kinda here
Donor
Credits
Wall Of Text Alert - Proceed With Caution

I was talking in the perspective of the demo for Mario, so that thing about Bowser can be chucked out the window as he is absent. Also his final smash is really, REALLY mediocre. While it can deal 50%, I have tried him out (against real players, so dont say this is against CPUs cause it isn't) and I haven't been able to score a single KO with it. Players seem to drop out of it once they get past the platform and good combo breakers like Mega Man can easily escape it. Definitely not anywhere near the top, and I still feel that it should be last on our demo tier lists.

What are you talking about when you say that Pikachu's down smash wasn't very good in previous games? It was argubly the best down smash in the game due to multiple easily-used hitboxes that racked up damage quickly if caught in its radius and also had big knockback on it, making it great for forcing medium-damaged opponents easy to force into the air to hit with either a Thunder or one of Pikachu's great Aerial attacks. Thunder had its range nerfed... a lot, meaning that it can no longer use that to get launches after smashes as easily as it used to, and it was always great at dealing heavy damage when it doesn't KO while still having great launching potential with the correct timing. While it isn't bad per-se, it is a lot worse than it was before, and the threat of one is much less daunting than it was last time around, with the threat of that being the main reason why it was so scary to go up againt when you had a neutral matchup in Brawl, Melee and the original. It only had one negative matchup in the original (Fox on Hyrule Castle) which was what made it the best character in the game. The threat of a Thunder means that players were always hesitant to jump to dodge and limited where they went as it was really easy to time. I am actually going to move it back up on my tier list as I have used it a bit more and it is definitely very good, although it is hurt by the increased difficulty in hitting that deadly down smash and the nerf to Thunder, and he's as good at edgeguarding as ever.

Yes, Link's attacks are easy to punush due to the large ending lag. However, after Pikachu, Link is argubly the best character in the demo at racking up damage onto the opponent fast due to its high power attacks, many of which have quick startups, a great chip damage inducer in the Fairy Bow, means of moving players closer to him for a deadly double side smash with the Tornado Boomerang and a means of hitting into the air above him for launches using his Bombs. While he somewhat struggles with his aerial game (has annoyingly slow, weak or abusable aerial attacks and has shitty recovery), he has an amazing game on the ground; and due to his high weight compared to the other characters in the demo, he doesn't get sufficiently high very easily, meaning that he can get back to the ground quickly and carry on smashing, while the bombs also aid him in getting back down to earth if he is launched sufficiently high by launching players out of the way of his fall, meaning that Pikachu is the only character who can reliably keep him up with the threat of either a Thunder or aerial attack. However, I am actually moving him back down to three upon retesting him earlier today due to his exploitability when he misses.

Now, a minute ago I said that Mega Man was a great combo breaker, and he is due to the mechanics of his spring/dog/thing. As an example, he can escape a down throw or up tilt combo from Mario, ignoring any flinches or knockback caused, using his trusty dog and attack anything that may be in the air with his great aerials. His uair is great for getting players up high in preparation for either another up aerial or a devistating bair, and it is a great way of stopping players preparing to hit Mega Man with a dair or something and starting comboing by canceling their attack and pushing them up for Mega Man to then get away with ease, and he is the only character in the demo who can escape one of Pikachu's chain grabs using the aforementioned spring technique. This is the main thing that I feel puts him above Villager and now Link. He also has great killing potential with his powerful, albeit short-ranged attacks in his up smash, down smash, side smash, bair, uair and dair as well as great ways of racking up chip damage fast with his neutral special, side special, up tilt, running attack, neutral attack and fair, as well as being able to get chip damage on multiple characters at once using his neutral special as it hits through opponents and is also great at shield-breaking due to the multi-hitting nature of the attack. His damage-dealing ability rivals that of Links without most of his attacks being overly exploitable, while his final smash isn't avoided with a well-timed dodge unlike that of Link, is unescapable if it hits (unlike Mario's), has a rather large hit radius (unlike Link's again) and isn't anywhere near as hard to hit as Villager's, which requires the same positioning as Captain Falcon's did in Brawl. I have moved this guy up to second as it is the only character who lacks any negative matchups outside of Pikachu (which I'd only put at around 40:60 anyway).

Jiggly

Pokémon Master
Donor
Credits

notsoclutch

Rare Breed
Donor
Let It Reign
Battler
Credits
Nevermind, won't post. :mad:

Still, I think Mario seems spectacular so far in the demo. His combo is ridiculously easy to pull off and he is just powerful enough to punish mistakes. He dominates link and does decently well against every character in the demo minus pikachu for whatever reason. Pikachu seems like it will dominate most light characters, but I don't see it taking too many bowser drop kicks when the full roster comes out and bowser seems top tier from what I've seen so far.

McCloud

Aloof Wolf
Donor
Credits
Pretty much what I'm going to main as. xD
sIhQ5Sq.png

Jiggly

Pokémon Master
Donor
Credits

Martin

I'm just kinda here