• IMPORTANT: The Buy/Sell forums are now for reference only; all shops are closed here. Please visit the new Marketplace for active buying and selling. Old sellers can access their previous shop links in these forums for setting up new shops in the Marketplace.

The Looker Mystery

Martin

I'm just kinda here
Donor
Credits
Looker is one of my favourite characters within the Pokémon series, and there has been a mystery surrounding just who he is and what his purpose is ever since his first appearance in Pokémon Platinum Version

In ORAS, Looker appears in the Battle Resort to give you the Audinite, after washing up on the shore with amnesia. However, with his music playing when you talk to him for the first time, and then every time you go into his house, begs a few questions. I have a hunch that it is hinting at something, and I am interested to see what you all think it could be.

Quotes (key info highlighted in bold):
Beach:
"Ugh..."
"...You. I want to ask you something. Where...where am I?"

[if you answer "Hoenn Region"] "Hoenn...?"
[if you answer "Battle Resort] "Battle...Resort? It's a battle place, yet also a...resort? I...don't...get it."
"Ah...yeah..."

Cabin:
"Hnh. You again. I apologize for my actions earlier. The truth of the matter is... I have no idea in the world what I am doing here... Or even who I am.* The first thing of which I can remember is awakening here upon this beach. Baffled, lacking awareness of the circumstances that brought me here...** And at that moment, you appeared! I feel...as though I have some duty that I should be accomplishing... But of it, I can remember nothing. Please, pardon me for going on about myself. In fact... I feel quite uneasy. Of course, I must thank you for finding me."
"That, I found in the pocket of my overcoat. It was the only thing I had on me. I do not know if it will prove worth anything, but I'm glad to give it to you."

"Wh-who am I? Who in the world am I?"*
*He is always very mysterious throughout the series, never revealing his true name.
**We never know what the true meaning of his visits, and he always appears in a baffling or mysterious way - hiding behind streetlights (Platinum), mysteriously turning up at your front door and giving you a fishing rod (Black/White), mysterious invitation to the Looker Buerau (X/Y), washing up on the shore of the Battle Resort (Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire)

Here are the things that I think it is hinting at:
  • Sinnoh remakes within generation 6 (backed up by his appearance in XY for the post-game mission, the plethora of Sinnoh music found throughout the Kalos region (played when talking to special NPCs) and Game Freak's deliberate concealment of information in ORAS)
  • The position of XY and RSE in the Pokémon series timeline (backed up by quote from BW (key info in bold): "Thank you a lot! Eh, <player>... On a topic I must speak to you. Having received such a report, of someone far from here,* who has seen a person like N and...a dragon Pokémon*. I am on my way to verify the veracity of this information. We will meet again one day!") - suggests that XY happens before the events of either BW or Platinum ("I work for the International Police! I am a globe-trotting, crime-fighting elite! Wherever there is a case, I must go! Justice awaits!") and it suggests that RSE happens after the events of BW.** (he is mysteriously absent in BW2)
  • Future event (item? downloadable side quest?) that will activate is main purpose (backed up by the Looker theme playing when you see him and his seeming lack of purpose within the game beyond giving you an Audinite)***
  • Looker finally revealing his name (backed up by "I have no idea in the world what I am doing here... Or even who I am." and "Wh-who am I? Who in the world am I?")***
*Player with M-Rayquaza?
**Previously, the Pokemon timeline was believed to be RB+RSE→GS+Pt→BW→BW2+XY, allegedly being confirmed by the scenario director of the series, although there are no confirmations of identity due to it being "announced" over Twitter. However, if my theory is correct, the timeline would look like one of the following:
  • RB→XY→GS+Pt→BW→BW2+RS
  • RB→GS+Pt→XY→BW→BW2+RS
***Could be related to each other. Maybe a DLC side quest in which you help Looker remember who he is through battling - reminding him of his various encounters with young champions (Lucas/Dawn in Pt, Hilbert/Hilda in BW and Calem/Serena in XY) due to your champion status.

Now remember: this is all speculation. Give your thoughts on what it could be below - I am interested to see what you all think.

Last edited:

XenEdge

Youngster Joey
Credits
This is quite strange, and it seems weird that GameFreak would just add some insignificant short dialogue to give you the Audinite. After all, they basically scattered them around the Hoenn world, so why does this guy give you this Mega Stone? It's all just really impractical, and more work for them. Maybe some person decided it would be some good nostalgia, or some fun lol.

The thing that bugs me is why Audinite? Does this hold any significance whatsoever, or is it just GameFreak playing games with us? The world may never know...

Cannu

Staff member
Mod
Donor
Journalist
Credits
This is quite strange, and it seems weird that GameFreak would just add some insignificant short dialogue to give you the Audinite. After all, they basically scattered them around the Hoenn world, so why does this guy give you this Mega Stone? It's all just really impractical, and more work for them. Maybe some person decided it would be some good nostalgia, or some fun lol.

The thing that bugs me is why Audinite? Does this hold any significance whatsoever, or is it just GameFreak playing games with us? The world may never know...
I thought the exact same, and it's really annoying me cause if they were that smart to implement something like that, then props to them :D

XenEdge

Youngster Joey
Credits
I thought the exact same, and it's really annoying me cause if they were that smart to implement something like that, then props to them :D
It would be cool if it actually has some meaning lol

Kozar

Youngster Joey
Credits
It was at this time that The Doctor regenerated and lost his memory.
"During this time, his true identity as the Doctor started to peek through. His memories didn't quite add up, and as he got to know Joan and answered her questions about his past, this became more evident."

Quote from the biography of John Smith- a human identity created by the 10th Doctor- David Tenant- Who everyone claims looks like looker- (Or vice-versa)

Last edited:

gnmmarechal

Pokémon Champion
Credits
It was at this time that The Doctor regenerated and lost his memory.
"During this time, his true identity as the Doctor started to peek through. His memories didn't quite add up, and as he got to know Joan and answered her questions about his past, this became more evident."

Quote from the biography of John Smith- a human identity created by the 10th Doctor- David Tenant- Who everyone claims looks like looker- (Or vice-versa)
It makes sense. After all, all Pokémon buildings are bigger on the inside ;)
The Doctor's there!

ericashes

Staff member
Mod
Will Not Fall
Journalist
Dex Contributor
Credits
After thinking about it thoroughly, the only explanation for the Audinite and the name the looker is this:

BDvKOolCMAEXDry.jpg:large

The Illuminati have infiltrated Pokemon... Nothing is sacred anymore...

I knew it !

Jord

Pokémon Trainer
Credits
After thinking about it thoroughly, the only explanation for the Audinite and the name the looker is this:

BDvKOolCMAEXDry.jpg:large

The Illuminati have infiltrated Pokemon... Nothing is sacred anymore...
Hahah I think you just solved it

Torgr676

Youngster Joey
Credits
Wow, yeah that's a lot to take in. You might be on to something. Then again it might be something tied to hoop a and his rings.

testing