• IMPORTANT: The Buy/Sell forums are now for reference only; all shops are closed here. Please visit the new Marketplace for active buying and selling. Old sellers can access their previous shop links in these forums for setting up new shops in the Marketplace.

Breeding for Abilities

EliteFourCronos

Pokémon Champion
Credits
This was a bit of a weird topic and I'm not sure what area of the forums this could go under, but I was wondering if anyone knew anything about this:

I've been breeding Pumpkaboos in search of a 5 IV one with Frisk, but the current parent I am using is a 5 IV Pumpkaboo with Pickup. In many of my egg batches, a staggering number of these Pumpkaboos have had Pickup as the ability rather than Frisk. Does anyone know if a parent's ability has any effect on the offspring?

Thanks for the help guys! :D

EliteFourCronos

Pokémon Champion
Credits
Yeah, but both Pickup and Frisk are Pumpkaboo's natural abilities with Insomnia as its hidden ability. That's what's making me wonder about this.

matsumouri

RNG Master
Credits
The frisk ability seems to be the hidden ability. One of the parents must have the hidden ability in order to pass it down. The chance depends on if you are breeding pumpkaboos with pumpkaboos or with dittos.

Edit. I looked. Not HA. But yeah. Ability capsules work.

PunSniperSylveon

Pokémon Champion
Donor
Credits
If you get a female of the ability you want.. breed it.
Females generally have a higher % chance of passing the ability the female possesses when you breed with pokes.

testing