• IMPORTANT: The Buy/Sell forums are now for reference only; all shops are closed here. Please visit the new Marketplace for active buying and selling. Old sellers can access their previous shop links in these forums for setting up new shops in the Marketplace.

Active Competitive Tutoring!!!

tesla

Pokémon Trainer
Credits
should I ev train speed at all on talonflame,if it has gale wings?
It would have
quick guard
tail wings
brave bird
plus something else

BadPandaPancham

Pokémon Champion
Credits
Hazards are [imo] the most important non-attacking moves. Stealth rock is literally the best move in the game, and no team is really competitive if you don't have something that can use it.
As useful as hazards are to the competitive scene of Pokemon, this statement is really vague and inaccurate. Plenty of good teams don't have hazard setters. Plenty of good teams do. You don't need them at all, especially with all the spinners and defogers in the metagame. While they are especially helpful, this is the biggest lie I've heard about competitive battling. But yes, support moves/status moves are really useful in competitive (depending on what they are). Also, if you play by Smogon rules, accuracy reducing moves are banned (Evasion clause).

BadPandaPancham

Pokémon Champion
Credits
should I ev train speed at all on talonflame,if it has gale wings?
It would have
quick guard
tail wings
brave bird
plus something else
You should since it has moves other then flying moves (also other priority users). But it shouldn't be a full speed invest. Also it can't learn Quick Guard (which it doesn't need anyways), and tail wings is supposed to be tailwind I am sure. So you should have Flare Blitz and U-Turn. You can add roost in if you are able to since Talon takes a ton of recoil damage. Also it should have Swords Dance.
The EVs I would recommend are: 104 HP/ 252 Atk/ 152 Spe

tesla

Pokémon Trainer
Credits
You should since it has moves other then flying moves (also other priority users). But it shouldn't be a full speed invest. Also it can't learn Quick Guard (which it doesn't need anyways), and tail wings is supposed to be tailwind I am sure. So you should have Flare Blitz and U-Turn. You can add roost in if you are able to since Talon takes a ton of recoil damage. Also it should have Swords Dance.
The EVs I would recommend are: 104 HP/ 252 Atk/ 152 Spe
I taught it quick guard by breeding. yes, I meant tail wind. I mostly need quick guard for when I challenge mynor again in the fire gym. Only as his talonflame's priority destroyed me last time.

BadPandaPancham

Pokémon Champion
Credits
EVs: 252 sp. Atk 252 speed, rest in hp.
Surf/hydro pump
Dark pulse
Ice beam
Extra sensory/taunt/toxic spikes
Toxic Spikes is a waste, and Taunt isn't good since Greninja should be killing the pokemon he's against in 1 hit or so. It also isn't a support. Also, Surf is useless. Scald or Hydro are much more reliable. Also Grass Know is a huge option, and Spikes are good for predicting Electric type moves.

BadPandaPancham

Pokémon Champion
Credits
Alright, I guess this means it's time to start building the actual team, so far Dusknoir and Porygon 2 are the only ones who are ready and I'm currently working on Hypno's EV's and I'm also trying to hatch a Brave Aron and I already have a brave Makuhita sitting in my PC waiting for his turn on EV training and then I'll have to find an Electross to use for breeding.
Eviolite Dusclops is bulkie then Dusknoir, though I am unsure if you are running it offensively or not :p

BadPandaPancham

Pokémon Champion
Credits
I taught it quick guard by breeding. yes, I meant tail wind. I mostly need quick guard for when I challenge mynor again in the fire gym. Only as his talonflame's priority destroyed me last time.
It does learn it, yes. And I can see why you had it, but you could have also just put 252 EVs into speed, as I doubt he did.

tesla

Pokémon Trainer
Credits
It does learn it, yes. And I can see why you had it, but you could have also just put 252 EVs into speed, as I doubt he did.
wouldn't help as my greninja had evs in speed and had choice scarf. To be clear though I didn't have talonflame, when i challenged him the first time. We were both down to two pokes at the time he brought in talonflame.

Last edited:

McCloud

Aloof Wolf
Donor
Credits
Eviolite Dusclops is bulkie then Dusknoir, though I am unsure if you are running it offensively or not :p
I know but I'm already using Eviolite on Porygon 2 so I evolved it to Dusknoir so it could be more offensive.

BadPandaPancham

Pokémon Champion
Credits
I know but I'm already using Eviolite on Porygon 2 so I evolved it to Dusknoir so it could be more offensive.
That's what I figured :p I used partially offensive Dusknoir for a bit in gen 5 RU/UU

BadPandaPancham

Pokémon Champion
Credits
wouldn't help as my greninja had evs in speed and had choice scarf. To be clear though I didn't have talonflame, when i challenged him the first time. We were both down to two pokes at the time he brought in talonflame.
But Talon has Gale Wings, meaning your Talon would outspeed his and proceed to kill his or make him die of recoil after he hits your Talon with the little health he has left. That also sounded like a close match :p

tesla

Pokémon Trainer
Credits
would you recommend speed and atk then? or 252 hp/128 atk/128 spd?

Jiggly

Pokémon Master
Donor
Credits
Toxic Spikes is a waste, and Taunt isn't good since Greninja should be killing the pokemon he's against in 1 hit or so. It also isn't a support. Also, Surf is useless. Scald or Hydro are much more reliable. Also Grass Know is a huge option, and Spikes are good for predicting Electric type moves.
Toxic spikes are great when an obvious switch is coming, you can get double toxic spikes up, and BAM! I like surf, because scald is weaker, and hydro has bad accuracy. Taunt... Well... It stops peoples defensive pokes, but I still say it's very situational. Taunt is okay, but not the best. And yes, grass knot is great. Have you heard of using hidden power ground? It's a better alternative to spikes in my opinion.

BadPandaPancham

Pokémon Champion
Credits
Toxic spikes are great when an obvious switch is coming, you can get double toxic spikes up, and BAM! I like surf, because scald is weaker, and hydro has bad accuracy. Taunt... Well... It stops peoples defensive pokes, but I still say it's very situational. Taunt is okay, but not the best. And yes, grass knot is great. Have you heard of using hidden power ground? It's a better alternative to spikes in my opinion.
HP Ground gives you LO recoil, is still weak, and only hits pokes that Greninja already hits (Fire types, Rock types, etc). Spikes gets up a bit of hazards.

Snewgon

Pokémon Trainer
Credits
imo Grass Knot isn't that good just for the fact that it still doesn't hit Rotom. I mean, it DOES but not hard enough considering how common he is. HP grass is actually much stronger against him, but it's harder to get. Then again, depending on who you're playing you might not expect to see Rotom at all so it's always an option.

As useful as hazards are to the competitive scene of Pokemon, this statement is really vague and inaccurate. Plenty of good teams don't have hazard setters. Plenty of good teams do. You don't need them at all, especially with all the spinners and defogers in the metagame. While they are especially helpful, this is the biggest lie I've heard about competitive battling. But yes, support moves/status moves are really useful in competitive (depending on what they are). Also, if you play by Smogon rules, accuracy reducing moves are banned (Evasion clause).
I'll agree on the vague bit but we'll have to agree to disagree on the inaccuracy(/"Lie". That was a little harsh, girl O.O). The only reason Smogon hasn't banned certain pokemon (Talonflame Volcarona Dragonite KyuB) in the past was because stealth rocks existed. If you don't use this hazard you're either using Sticky Web so SpexPloud can pull off a funny sweep, or you're letting your opponent take a monstrous advantage.
I'm not saying you have to set rocks EVERY battle, but the OPTION to do so every battle is very important. In addition to breaking sashes, staving off sr weak mons can only otherwise be done by over-checking them, making your team unbalanced and weak to more things than it needs to be. That doesn't mean your team can't be successful without sr, but it means you can get better by having it.

BadPandaPancham

Pokémon Champion
Credits
imo Grass Knot isn't that good just for the fact that it still doesn't hit Rotom. I mean, it DOES but not hard enough considering how common he is. HP grass is actually much stronger against him, but it's harder to get. Then again, depending on who you're playing you might not expect to see Rotom at all so it's always an option.

(/"Lie". That was a little harsh, girl O.O).

HP Fire Greninja is more useful then HP Grass. Also, Grass Knot isn't only to deal with Rotom-W, it's for pokes like Gastro, or other bulky water types that completely wall Greninja (usually).

I agree, saying that it was a big lie was pretty rude/assy sounding by saying that, but I didn't mean to give off such a negative demeanor. I definitely could have rephrased that to get my point across and still be much more friendly. :( And we do have our own opinions. Sticky Web is a lot less common now too,

Snewgon

Pokémon Trainer
Credits
HP Fire Greninja is more useful then HP Grass. Also, Grass Knot isn't only to deal with Rotom-W, it's for pokes like Gastro, or other bulky water types that completely wall Greninja (usually).

I agree, saying that it was a big lie was pretty rude/assy sounding by saying that, but I didn't mean to give off such a negative demeanor. I definitely could have rephrased that to get my point across and still be much more friendly. :( And we do have our own opinions. Sticky Web is a lot less common now too,
Again I agree on Grass Knot being an option, but more often than not in a tourney, your opponent will be using rotom. Also Grass Knot and Hidden Power Grass do EXACTLY the same damage to gastrodon. HP Grass just guarantees you damage, though you might miss the KO on something weird like pert I guess.
And considering how widely used Rotom is, having HP Grass over fire can sometimes be better - not to say it always is, but sometimes.

lol Don't worry I'm not as sensetive as all that so I'm not holding it against you.

tesla

Pokémon Trainer
Credits
what would you recommend are good gastrodon counters? my team mostly worked on snewgon besides that.

BadPandaPancham

Pokémon Champion
Credits
Again I agree on Grass Knot being an option, but more often than not in a tourney, your opponent will be using rotom. Also Grass Knot and Hidden Power Grass do EXACTLY the same damage to gastrodon. HP Grass just guarantees you damage, though you might miss the KO on something weird like pert I guess.
And considering how widely used Rotom is, having HP Grass over fire can sometimes be better - not to say it always is, but sometimes.

lol Don't worry I'm not as sensetive as all that so I'm not holding it against you.
I know they do the same damage lol, but I was just meaning you don't need to breed and all that.

testing