• IMPORTANT: The Buy/Sell forums are now for reference only; all shops are closed here. Please visit the new Marketplace for active buying and selling. Old sellers can access their previous shop links in these forums for setting up new shops in the Marketplace.

The PP League Needs Some Adjustments!

ericashes

Staff member
Mod
Will Not Fall
Journalist
Dex Contributor
Credits
I think the double item clause (example: being able to use 2 choice scarfs) actually word be nice to keep as long as you remove the whole "can use ban mega stone" thing. A double item does help a crap tone against counter teamers.

Cheza

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Team Elite
Will Not Fall
Trusted Seller
Donor
Friendzilla
Smaug
Journalist
Credits
Completely agree with you, although I do bring up one point for discussion - what about the new rules? Are we to abolish them? At least, if this idea went forward.
If there was a rule against counter teams the new rules would have to go. / no uber item or clause breaking.

The uber Pokémon for gyms would stay to test the waters though :)

Miles8088

Top Kek Champion
Will Not Fall
Trusted Seller
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Credits
I agree with all of you really. The counter teams are getting old and while it was fun for a while to crush ct's with broken clauses in the end its a negative thing. Its just not fair for the challengers. Not to mention its much more fun to have a good record without broken pokes. I did just fine without the new rules and the gyms are now imbalanced. Because of this, if we were ever to implement an elite 4 I assume we would want the best mono type battlers. This would be impossible to determine by record because of this imbalance.

Matt_192

Official Server Crasher
Staff member
Admin
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Dex Contributor
Credits
I agree with all of you really. The counter teams are getting old and while it was fun for a while to crush ct's with broken clauses in the end its a negative thing. Its just not fair for the challengers. Not to mention its much more fun to have a good record without broken pokes. I did just fine without the new rules and the gyms are now imbalanced. Because of this, if we were ever to implement an elite 4 I assume we would want the best mono type battlers. This would be impossible to determine by record because of this imbalance.
I've bumped the E4 convo with @doulie, so we should hopefully get a response soon regarding that :)

Cheza

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Team Elite
Will Not Fall
Trusted Seller
Donor
Friendzilla
Smaug
Journalist
Credits
In addition to this, these new rules that have caused unbalanced gym teams where to help fight against counter teams.

It would be much better to remove the main issue being counter teams then making all these new rules to fight against them (ultimately just encouraging counter teaming) imo.

matt

Pokémon Champion
Credits
1. so glad this was brought up

2. I feel cheza's idea to have an individual counter lists is more along the lines of what we actually need and not some stupid thing here and there to help only afew gyms

3. I see everyone basing counters soley on atk potential lol lets not forget certain mons also block certain types ex: lando/swampert/gliscor/blissey are all heavy walls for electric or bringing heatran to the fire gym, etc etc
^ although this would likely be brought up more in the group chat

Cheza

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Team Elite
Will Not Fall
Trusted Seller
Donor
Friendzilla
Smaug
Journalist
Credits
3. I see everyone basing counters soley on atk potential lol lets not forget certain mons also block certain types ex: lando/swampert/gliscor/blissey are all heavy walls for electric or bringing heatran to the fire gym, etc etc
^ although this would likely be brought up more in the group chat
If you feel these Pokemon counter your typing they would be brought up as potential counters when all the gym leaders get together to discuss counter lists. :)

Matt_192

Official Server Crasher
Staff member
Admin
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Dex Contributor
Credits
These Pokemon would be Pokemon you feel counter your typing and would be brought up as potential counters. :)
I'm guessing we'll need to go ahead and make a convo with all the gym leaders to start discussion?

Cheza

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Team Elite
Will Not Fall
Trusted Seller
Donor
Friendzilla
Smaug
Journalist
Credits
I'm guessing we'll need to go ahead and make a convo with all the gym leaders to start discussion?
I've started making a general list for my gym now.

We could always start the conversation and if doulie agrees with this idea most of the lists would already be made and it could be implemented faster. :)

Matt_192

Official Server Crasher
Staff member
Admin
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Dex Contributor
Credits
I've started making a general list for my gym now.

We could always start the conversation and if doulie agrees with this idea most of the lists would already be made and it could be implemented faster. :)
Sure, I'll start it up now :)

phenix

Rise Again
Team Elite
Credits
Okay, I see a lot of ideas flying around, but I'd like to pitch in my two cents as the leader of an odd type.
On the surface, flying is pretty OP looking due to an array of ubers and offensive presence, yes? Well actually, I struggle with more Pokemon than the average gym.

While I do like the suggestion of a counter list, being allowed to bring two to mine would be absolutely devastating. I'm giving them a list of things I can't handle!
One of my biggest problems is Cloyster. It's got STAB priority and skill link for icicle spear and rock blast. Pair that with shell smash and a focus sash and please tell me how I can beat it. Now say I manage to kill the stupid thing. They now have yet another Pokemon I struggle with. Let's say it's Greninja or Tyranitar. I'm done. There's no way to take them down after my team has been crippled.

My point is that while that could work for some gyms (say the electric due to limiting the number of grounds), it's never going to work for others.

There's flaws with limiting the number of Pokemon with an advantage. Like, look at the team I battled Miles with last night. I had a M-Gallade, Ferro, and Gengar (Clef, Rotom, and Lando are my others). Against the normal gym, that would be deemed counter for one supereffective type, one resist, and one immunity...but it's my normal team. Some types have way too many weaknesses/resists to do a specific number for.

I'd also like to point out that as the flying leader, I have literally one Pokemon that isn't a dual type, so my mons are very prone to countering easily especially when stealth rock is taken into consideration, so I really do want to fix the problems. It's just that some solutions only work for some of the types.

I rather like the idea of the leader being able to choose whether or not the person deserves the badge. We could set up a council of sorts to judge battle videos if a challenger is rejected the badge but feels s/he deserves it.

Sorry for the long post, guys!

Chris

Youngster Joey
Credits
First off, good idea for a thread!

I have to say, Phenix made a great point. I don't think it's a good idea to broadcast the pokemon that we have trouble with, and then allow our challengers to pick and use two of them. Talon flame and M pinsir could still be used in the fighting/grass and bug gyms, which is extremely hard to stop using a mono of those types. Honestly, I don't see why challengers need any counters at all. ( meaning stab super effective ). If we get rid of the banned item, and the breaking one clause rule, ( and as cheza said, for now keep the uber and see how it goes) then it shouldn't be too hard to fight gyms with a fair team. All it takes is one scarfed pokemon to spam super effective stab attackes and that can be devastating to most teams. Thoughts?

Cheza

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Team Elite
Will Not Fall
Trusted Seller
Donor
Friendzilla
Smaug
Journalist
Credits
First off, good idea for a thread!

I have to say, Phenix made a great point. I don't think it's a good idea to broadcast the pokemon that we have trouble with, and then allow our challengers to pick and use two of them. Talon flame and M pinsir could still be used in the fighting/grass and bug gyms, which is extremely hard to stop using a mono of those types. Honestly, I don't see why challengers need any counters at all. ( meaning stab super effective ). If we get rid of the banned item, and the breaking one clause rule, ( and as cheza said, for now keep the uber and see how it goes) then it shouldn't be too hard to fight gyms with a fair team. All it takes is one scarfed pokemon to spam super effective stab attackes and that can be devastating to most teams. Thoughts?
No counter Pokémon at all would be even better xD

Good point @phenix :)

sebesmos

Meme Queen
Staff member
Mod
Trusted Seller
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Credits
The issue I thought of with this, is some types with more weaknesses could easily force someone to change their regular lineup as well to avoid counter teaming. I'm sure I've used plenty of teams with 3 pokemon super effective against ice, rock or grass without even trying too.
On A normal OU team would anyone EVER use three types like that? That sounds like awful coverage and a bad team to begin with...

phenix

Rise Again
Team Elite
Credits
On A normal OU team would anyone EVER use three types like that? That sounds like awful coverage and a bad team to begin with...
Eh, a Volcarona, M-Gallade, and Excadrill on a team sounds reasonable, but that'd easily deal with ice.
Same could happen with a Tyranitar, Zapdos, and Mamoswine on a team. That'd be a problem for flying.

austinrayk

Pokémon Trainer
Credits
I just don't get this why ant wvery gym leader a and vey challenger just get one uber with no matter what item and no purposely counter teams it is the leaders responsibility to decide if it was purposely stack or not for that gym I think my idea has fixed this kinda I mean guys come on if the leaders can fight all u guys and gals they should be honest

Matt_192

Official Server Crasher
Staff member
Admin
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Dex Contributor
Credits
I just don't get this why ant wvery gym leader a and vey challenger just get one uber with no matter what item and no purposely counter teams it is the leaders responsibility to decide if it was purposely stack or not for that gym I think my idea has fixed this kinda I mean guys come on if the leaders can fight all u guys and gals they should be honest
Wow

The gym leaders are given an uber Pokemon so that can actually put up with people's counter teaming. The reason counter-teaming is an issue is because you can be awful at playing the game but still get all 18 badges by being cheap.

'my idea'
Your idea?

Ps I have a question is it legal on this sight to advertise a Pokemon for sale on a thread outside the trading ones sorry I only use my phone on this sight and I can't seem to find my answer
Don't double post, and no, please keep it to the trading threads

austinrayk

Pokémon Trainer
Credits
Wow

The gym leaders are given an uber Pokemon so that can actually put up with people's counter teaming. The reason counter-teaming is an issue is because you can be awful at playing the game but still get all 18 badges by being cheap.

'my idea'
Your idea?

Don't double post, and no, please keep it to the trading threads
Yeah sorry for the a soible pot s soon as I saw that I hit done I accident thought of something to ask and ok I just don't understand thought ole it need s to be fair with leaders against trainers

Matt_192

Official Server Crasher
Staff member
Admin
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Dex Contributor
Credits
Yeah sorry for the a soible pot s soon as I saw that I hit done I accident thought of something to ask and ok I just don't understand thought ole it need s to be fair with leaders against trainers
I'm sorry, I literally cannot read that xD can you decipher please?

phenix

Rise Again
Team Elite
Credits
Well, we get ubers because a person will be challenging our team knowing what type we have. This means that it's easy for them to prepare for said type. We do have a mono after all, and that's very hard

Last edited:

testing