• IMPORTANT: The Buy/Sell forums are now for reference only; all shops are closed here. Please visit the new Marketplace for active buying and selling. Old sellers can access their previous shop links in these forums for setting up new shops in the Marketplace.

A way to stop these Spamming accounts

ericashes

Staff member
Mod
Will Not Fall
Journalist
Dex Contributor
Credits
that wouldn't work, bots would just post anyway, unless you mean the thread wouldn't post unless a mod or admin checks the post and approves it, then it will be released as a new thread, that isn't a half bad idea but requires a mod or admin to be online

Yes this. And it wouldn't be bad. Someone can wait for a mod to get online to approve a post. Just make it so if they have at least 10 posts a mod doesn't need to approve. That way a mod doesn't have to spend all day approving posts. Just the potential bots.

MrZangetsu1997

Pokémon Trainer
Credits
could potentially work, but if the Capatcha method works, then mods wouldn't really have to worry about it, a bot could spam more than 10 posts within a minute or so, although it would be a good idea for mods and admins to need to approve posts of new users anyway to make sure they produce quality threads and to make sure they've read the forum rules and guidelines

sebesmos

Meme Queen
Staff member
Mod
Trusted Seller
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Credits
Yes this. And it wouldn't be bad. Someone can wait for a mod to get online to approve a post. Just make it so if they have at least 10 posts a mod doesn't need to approve. That way a mod doesn't have to spend all day approving posts. Just the potential bots.
could potentially work, but if the Capatcha method works, then mods wouldn't really have to worry about it, a bot could spam more than 10 posts within a minute or so, although it would be a good idea for mods and admins to need to approve posts of new users anyway to make sure they produce quality threads and to make sure they've read the forum rules and guidelines
These posts.

Eric, your idea is good, but the problem is that that's just a ton more work for mods when we could easily just use a captcha for the first "x" amount of posts. For how the site is growing, if we had to moderate 10 threads for each new member - that seems like an all day approving threads task to me.

The captcha will know just as well as we will if someone is a bot or not.

Dom

The People's Champ
Staff member
Admin
Trusted Seller
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Let It Reign
Iron Will
Credits
I have a better idea. Make it so in order to create a thread you must have mod approval for your first 10 posts.

Better for who o_O

That's even more work for mods and a pain for new users if there are no mods around tbh

ericashes

Staff member
Mod
Will Not Fall
Journalist
Dex Contributor
Credits
Better for who o_O

That's even more work for mods and a pain for new users if there are no mods around tbh

A) They can wait. B) There is like 1 new user who is legit t hat posts every day?

sebesmos

Meme Queen
Staff member
Mod
Trusted Seller
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Credits
A) They can wait. B) There is like 1 new user who is legit t hat posts every day?
This just sounds like a complete nightmare. I see NO benefit why we would do this over using captcha. Let's say someone DOES make a bot account and they make their first 10 posts so that the bot account can then spam (a lot of work but roll with me here). If they make 10 significant posts to convince us they're a real person, a captcha will know just as well as a mod would if someone has good intentions or not.

MrZangetsu1997

Pokémon Trainer
Credits
This just sounds like a complete nightmare. I see NO benefit why we would do this over using captcha. Let's say someone DOES make a bot account and they make their first 10 posts so that the bot account can then spam (a lot of work but roll with me here). If they make 10 significant posts to convince us they're a real person, a captcha will know just as well as a mod would if someone has good intentions or not.

That was the point I was trying to make, All hail the Meme Queen!

Cheza

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Team Elite
Will Not Fall
Trusted Seller
Donor
Friendzilla
Smaug
Journalist
Credits
I think having to wait for mod/admin approval would just be annoying and chase people away from the site.

ericashes

Staff member
Mod
Will Not Fall
Journalist
Dex Contributor
Credits
I think having to wait for mod/admin approval would just be annoying and chase people away from the site.

it could, but I can't think of any other substitution. It was just an alternative to wasting time deleting spam at 3 am for mods

sebesmos

Meme Queen
Staff member
Mod
Trusted Seller
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Credits
but why are you so against captcha? I'm really wanting to understand where you see the benefit. Members have to wait for posts, creates MORE work for moderators... All cons in my book.

it could, but I can't think of any other substitution. It was just an alternative to wasting time deleting spam at 3 am for mods

This guy gets me. XD "all hail"

That was the point I was trying to make, All hail the Meme Queen!

ericashes

Staff member
Mod
Will Not Fall
Journalist
Dex Contributor
Credits
but why are you so against captcha? I'm really wanting to understand where you see the benefit. Members have to wait for posts, creates MORE work for moderators... All cons in my book.

This guy gets me. XD "all hail"

I am not actually . I agree with captcha I just think most bots are created by a human and post once then leave.

MrZangetsu1997

Pokémon Trainer
Credits
I am not actually . I agree with captcha I just think most bots are created by a human and post once then leave.
that may be true, but if we incorporate capatcha into the account creation, and into the thread creation, then it would eliminate the whole purpose of a bot, the human would have to keep verifying every time the bot wanted to post a new thread, causing too much trouble for the botter and we would be left with far less spam on the website

ericashes

Staff member
Mod
Will Not Fall
Journalist
Dex Contributor
Credits
that may be true, but if we incorporate capatcha into the account creation, and into the thread creation, then it would eliminate the whole purpose of a bot, the human would have to keep verifying every time the bot wanted to post a new thread, causing too much trouble for the botter and we would be left with far less spam on the website

i still doubt the people posting are bots. They seem not to post more than once

MrZangetsu1997

Pokémon Trainer
Credits
could be just how the bots are programmed then, one person yesterday ended up spamming into two different sub forums, from my experience, bots only spam once or twice and leave, that way they move onto other forums and expand their audience

ericashes

Staff member
Mod
Will Not Fall
Journalist
Dex Contributor
Credits
could be just how the bots are programmed then, one person yesterday ended up spamming into two different sub forums, from my experience, bots only spam once or twice and leave, that way they move onto other forums and expand their audience

I want the captcha as well but I think we need additional barriers

MrZangetsu1997

Pokémon Trainer
Credits
I hear you, but I don't see any other way, and the mods have said they don't want to have to verify the posts of new users

sebesmos

Meme Queen
Staff member
Mod
Trusted Seller
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Credits
In the end there is no perfect system, but I think the captcha on the first "x" posts would help.

ericashes

Staff member
Mod
Will Not Fall
Journalist
Dex Contributor
Credits
In the end there is no perfect system, but I think the captcha on the first "x" posts would help.

captcha could be put in asap for temporary at the least. Needs to happen.

testing