• IMPORTANT: The Buy/Sell forums are now for reference only; all shops are closed here. Please visit the new Marketplace for active buying and selling. Old sellers can access their previous shop links in these forums for setting up new shops in the Marketplace.

Active Banners for Tier Leaders!

sebesmos

Meme Queen
Staff member
Mod
Trusted Seller
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Credits
But hear me out, the banners are only going to help people, even if it's rarely, its not like they're gonna un-help people xD idk I just don't see a problem, its a win/win to have both in my eyes, even if one win is bigger than the other.
That just opens the floor to all sorts of arguments for "this could help at least once in a million times so I deserve a banner for my work" type of things. That's just a really poor argument imo. I'd rather see a community member actually say they think it'd help them - and I have only heard people say that they don't think it will help, or that "who cares if it'll help, maybe it will so why not?"

Yungfaux

Hard at Work or Hardly Working
Staff member
Mod
Team Elite
Journalist
Credits
That just opens the floor to all sorts of arguments for "this could help at least once in a million times so I deserve a banner for my work" type of things. That's just a really poor argument imo. I'd rather see a community member actually say they think it'd help them - and I have only heard people say that they don't think it will help, or that "who cares if it'll help, maybe it will so why not?"
If only people weren't like that then :( oh well

Matt_192

Official Server Crasher
Staff member
Admin
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Dex Contributor
Credits
In my opinion, this is gonna be one of those ideas which will be helpful when it is implemented. Navigating through forums, especially on phone, is hard enough as it is if you just want to find one thread (with them all listed), whereas if they are on all posts, it is more visible to all members.

Then I return to the point about making the tiering posts more professional. Also, if people post a thread asking for help and you respond back with the Leader banner there, people will be much more inclined to follow you up and take advice from you.

Cheza

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Team Elite
Will Not Fall
Trusted Seller
Donor
Friendzilla
Smaug
Journalist
Credits
With banners like mod and staff member people already know what a mod/staff member does. They're here to help you and keep order around the site, but what does a "tier leader" do? I still don't know what it is that tier leaders do or that we even had tier leaders...

A banner that simply says "tier leader" doesn't give any information, what a tier leader does, any information about the tier and doesn't say "I'm here to answer your questions" it's just a title.

A thread that introduces yourself and what you do as a tier leader, gives some basic information about your tier and gives some example questions you could help with is much more helpful than a title. Also your threads might influence people who are new to competitive battling to try your tier.

I just can't see adding 9 new banners that will be given to a single person when there is no information about what tier leaders do and from past experience banners never helped before "my mod banner example".

I'm not completely against the idea of adding tier leader banners later one when people know we have tier leaders and you can help answer questions. However I also feel we need to limit the amount of banners people can display at once to a maximum of 5 banners, the rest of your banners would be displayed on your profile.

sebesmos

Meme Queen
Staff member
Mod
Trusted Seller
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Credits
In my opinion, this is gonna be one of those ideas which will be helpful when it is implemented. Navigating through forums, especially on phone, is hard enough as it is if you just want to find one thread (with them all listed), whereas if they are on all posts, it is more visible to all members.

Then I return to the point about making the tiering posts more professional. Also, if people post a thread asking for help and you respond back with the Leader banner there, people will be much more inclined to follow you up and take advice from you.

With banners like mod and staff member people already know what a mod/staff member does. They're here to help you and keep order around the site, but what does a "tier leader" do? I still don't know what it is that tier leaders do or that we even had tier leaders...

A banner that simply says "tier leader" doesn't give any information, what a tier leader does, any information about the tier and doesn't say "I'm here to answer your questions" it's just a title.

A thread that introduces yourself and what you do as a tier leader, gives some basic information about your tier and gives some example questions you could help with is much more helpful than a title. Also your threads might influence people who are new to competitive battling to try your tier.

I just can't see adding 9 new banners that will be given to a single person when there is no information about what tier leaders do and from past experience banners never helped before "my mod banner example".

I'm not completely against the idea of adding tier leader banners later one when people know we have tier leaders and you can help answer questions. However I also feel we need to limit the amount of banners people can display at once to a maximum of 5 banners, the rest of your banners would be displayed on your profile.
Building on what Cheza is saying, tier leading isn't an official PP role is it? It's more of a voluntary council. It's not like helping people is one of your duties (like mod/staff is).

Also if people can't read a thread to find this info how are they going to read the banners of everyone posting in the threads?

*edit - I also don't feel like users should have a banner just to say that they're better at giving advice on "xyz" than anyone else. The roles were completely voluntary.

Last edited:

Matt_192

Official Server Crasher
Staff member
Admin
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Dex Contributor
Credits

Tier Leaders are responsible for holding suspect tests and organising viability rankings as well as any other useful guides for their individual tier. Also, we may as well leave talk of limiting the amount of banners on the other thread.

Building on what Cheza is saying, tier leading isn't an official PP role is it? It's more of a voluntary council. It's not like helping people is one of your duties (like mod/staff is).

Also if people can't read a thread to find this info how are they going to read the banners of everyone posting in the threads?

*edit - I also don't feel like users should have a banner just to say that they're better at giving advice on "xyz" than anyone else. The roles were completely voluntary.
I'm not saying they're 'better' at giving advice away at all... All I'm saying is that the banner shows that they have significant knowledge in a tier and can be asked questions about it at any time. Sure, it may not be an official thing, but that's because we haven't really consulted doulie about it, a thing I hope we can do with the creation of this banners, as well as better widespread knowledge of the tier leaders in general.

My issue with just making threads for each tier is that it becomes rather clustered - if you just have 9 introductions, there isn't anything to separate them out so people will be more inclined to go with the 'standard' tiers like UU and OU. On the other hand, if you made a thread stating what tier leaders do in general, then the banner would be a way of showing this around the forums.

Blaguard

Apex Predator
Team Elite
Journalist
Credits
Tier Leaders are responsible for holding suspect tests and organising viability rankings as well as any other useful guides for their individual tier. Also, we may as well leave talk of limiting the amount of banners on the other thread.

I'm not saying they're 'better' at giving advice away at all... All I'm saying is that the banner shows that they have significant knowledge in a tier and can be asked questions about it at any time. Sure, it may not be an official thing, but that's because we haven't really consulted doulie about it, a thing I hope we can do with the creation of this banners, as well as better widespread knowledge of the tier leaders in general.

My issue with just making threads for each tier is that it becomes rather clustered - if you just have 9 introductions, there isn't anything to separate them out so people will be more inclined to go with the 'standard' tiers like UU and OU. On the other hand, if you made a thread stating what tier leaders do in general, then the banner would be a way of showing this around the forums.
On top of the fact that threads can be hard to sort thorugh. When I was a new member I wouldn't have known where to look for advice on new tiers. We've seen that new members are likely to post threads asking questions, so having the banners would increase awareness of tier leaders in general (so anyone can point them in our direction) as well as giving our advice credibility.

sebesmos

Meme Queen
Staff member
Mod
Trusted Seller
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Credits
I'll just go back to waiting for any evidence showing this would help.

Reactions: Ary

Yungfaux

Staff member
Mod
Team Elite
Journalist
Credits
What if we had one "tiering council" banner for all nine people and then you could accept new volunteers who show they're knowledgeable. It could raise awareness among active users for the tiering council and then they could be like "what is this?" And once they know, they could inform new users or point them in the direction of the council for questions. Then you could grow the council with more users who know about the tiering system so that it's a prominent feature of the site.

Maybe not tiering council banners but "tiering teacher" or "tiering expert" banners that invite people to ask questions?

Also I'd like to say that you guys are talking like you can only implement ONE of these ideas either the threads or the banners, but.... You could do both? So what are you guys arguing in that respect?

Sticky threads aren't hard to find, banners are noticed by active members, nothing in this thread would have a negative influence.

I suggest just passing in both ideas to @doulie or @KitaVonKanada and then seeing what sticks. Problem solved...

sebesmos

Meme Queen
Staff member
Mod
Trusted Seller
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Credits
What if we had one "tiering council" banner for all nine people and then you could accept new volunteers who show they're knowledgeable. It could raise awareness among active users for the tiering council and then they could be like "what is this?" And once they know, they could inform new users or point them in the direction of the council for questions. Then you could grow the council with more users who know about the tiering system so that it's a prominent feature of the site.

Maybe not tiering council banners but "tiering teacher" or "tiering expert" banners that invite people to ask questions?

Also I'd like to say that you guys are talking like you can only implement ONE of these ideas either the threads or the banners, but.... You could do both? So what are you guys arguing in that respect?

Sticky threads aren't hard to find, banners are noticed by active members, nothing in this thread would have a negative influence.

I suggest just passing in both ideas to @doulie or @KitaVonKanada and then seeing what sticks. Problem solved...
I'm arguing the idea because I think the banners are not a good idea. I'd much prefer to see a static page that actually has a LOCATION for people to find other than assuming users are going to be perceptive enough to read all the banners - especially with how many we have now.

Also, I guess if we're going to have banners for tier leaders, we should probably go ahead and add banners for all the new moderator roles - in case anyone has any ideas or questions for the news, youtube, instagram, etc staff. Right? We already have a thread for it but just in case people can't find the thread, it'd probably be helpful. :Troll:

-rer-

Reactions: Ary

Cheza

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Team Elite
Will Not Fall
Trusted Seller
Donor
Friendzilla
Smaug
Journalist
Credits

I would enjoy the idea of having one banner called "Tiering Council Member" (maybe an orange banner) that would be given to all council members along with the individual stickied threads in Competitive Battling. The threads would be created by the tier leaders and have other tier members that can answer questions tagged inside.

Not only would more people see the banners with more people having them but it would also lessen the amount of questions being asked to the leaders. / Instead of just the leaders answering peoples questions other council members can answer too. Also as Josh said having more people with the banner might strike interest in more council members.

I just can't get behide the idea of creating 9 new banners for one person knowing how mod banners had no effect. xD

Matt_192

Official Server Crasher
Staff member
Admin
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Dex Contributor
Credits
I don't object to that idea, although I still think the Tiering Leaders would be better. However, there isn't 9 council members - I think the number is roughly 18, so at least by doing the Tiering Council banners then everyone in the council would get one.

I'm gonna try and talk to doulie over Skype later about all of this :]

sebesmos

Meme Queen
Staff member
Mod
Trusted Seller
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Credits
I don't object to that idea, although I still think the Tiering Leaders would be better. However, there isn't 9 council members - I think the number is roughly 18, so at least by doing the Tiering Council banners then everyone in the council would get one.

You should probably tell @doulie there hasn't been any positive feedback from the community other than tier council members. :)

sebesmos

Meme Queen
Staff member
Mod
Trusted Seller
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Credits
@Yungfaux was for the idea, who isn't on the council <3
Yungfauxs argument was that "it could help at least once so why not" which is a pretty weak argument. I'd rather see a user say "this could actually help me because I read banners to find help"

Matt_192

Official Server Crasher
Staff member
Admin
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Dex Contributor
Credits
> implying that you haven't listened to my points about professionalism and/or general help around the community about informing people.

phenix

Rise Again
Team Elite
Credits
tbh, like it was pointed out in the conversation...there aren't that many active users on and a lot who are active are on the council.
I'd really rather just see what @doulie thinks of it and go from there

Yungfaux

Staff member
Mod
Team Elite
Journalist
Credits
I'm not against the banners because they won't harm the site, I'm not against the thread ideas. That's my stance, I just don't see why all this arguing was necessary, just suggest to Doulie, he's gonna have the final say int he end anyway. Geeze #Hostile2015

Cheza

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Team Elite
Will Not Fall
Trusted Seller
Donor
Friendzilla
Smaug
Journalist
Credits

I see no reason to give banners to JUST the leaders of a tier, leaders aren't the only people who do work on the council and I feel if you're going to be making banners involving the tiering council everyone should get recognition and a banner.

Also I feel like adding banners is less of a "help to the community" and more of just something to make the council an official role on the site? Am I right? I can see why you'd want that since the council takes a lot of time and effort to make the sites tiers. :)

phenix

Rise Again
Team Elite
Credits
It's not that we do more work, it's so that people know we know about that specific tier. At this point the council has evolved into us discussing moving X Pokemon to X tier. Often we'll consult the tier leader of both tiers in question and get their input before we even consider a vote...and honestly their opinions hold quite a bit of weight in the voting process.

I'd actually really like to see a combination of ideas and have leader banners for the leaders and then council ones for the others. That way people can know that they can ask us any question, but the leaders have expertise in that tier. I'd honestly rather have people know which tier to ask me about, rather than just letting them know I'm on the council (since all council members have at least a vague knowledge of each tier, but the leaders have specific knowledge of their tiers and therefore are likely the best person to ask).

testing