• IMPORTANT: The Buy/Sell forums are now for reference only; all shops are closed here. Please visit the new Marketplace for active buying and selling. Old sellers can access their previous shop links in these forums for setting up new shops in the Marketplace.

Active Smogon Bans Aegislash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt_192

Official Server Crasher
Staff member
Admin
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Dex Contributor
Credits
imo, Aegislash was healthy for the meta. It wasn't over-centralizing like M-Kanga, it didn't meet any of the offensive, defensive or supportive characteristics of an uber and it was very easy to beat. I reckon that it got banned more because it was hated rather than broken as playing it was just one big mindgame (unless you were running SD as it wouldn't run King's Sheild anyway cause max speed adamant as it was a sweeper rather than a tank or wallbreaker and it needed all the coverage it could get - but thats not the point). The fact is that it didn't force too much outside of putting one limit on Pinsir which actually prevents it from being broken. It was singlehandedly the one thing that prevented the meta from spiraling out of control imo as now that it has gone Pinsir will wreak havoc and one of Mawile's best checks is gone, among other effects losing it will have. I am not happy with the community about this and it is something which really needs to be re-tested at some point in the future.
I agree with most of this, especially the thing about it not having the characteristics of a Uber. IMO, Smogon needs to implement a new BL tier, between Ubers and OU (if we're coming up with names, I want to call it MB, for Mildly Broken lol) that can fit Aegislash, as well as many other things currently in OU. It was also pretty hated among the lower tier battlers, but the real, higher tier players did see it as healthy to the metagame, imo, the people that we should be listening too.

Cheza

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Team Elite
Will Not Fall
Trusted Seller
Donor
Friendzilla
Smaug
Journalist
Credits
I didn't use aegislash that much but i don't think it was ubers worthy.
battling it was never and issue for me.

MaliciousMango

Pokémon Champion
Donor
Credits
i can see mega venusaur as well. :/
Mega venusaur stands a very good chance of being banned now that aegislash has been removed from the format. The only viable counters remaining are offensive heatran, talonflame, clefable, and the genies which are both easily countered by mamoswine.

Giovanni

Honorable
Credits
Mega venusaur stands a very good chance of being banned now that aegislash has been removed from the format. The only viable counters remaining are offensive heatran, talonflame, clefable, and the genies which are both easily countered by mamoswine.
Charizard-X is the top pokemon in OU. S rating.

Meruem

Pokémon Master
Trusted Seller
Donor
Credits
imo, Aegislash was healthy for the meta. It wasn't over-centralizing like M-Kanga, it didn't meet any of the offensive, defensive or supportive characteristics of an uber and it was very easy to beat. I reckon that it got banned more because it was hated rather than broken as playing it was just one big mindgame (unless you were running SD as it wouldn't run King's Sheild anyway cause max speed adamant as it was a sweeper rather than a tank or wallbreaker and it needed all the coverage it could get - but thats not the point). The fact is that it didn't force too much outside of putting one limit on Pinsir which actually prevents it from being broken. It was singlehandedly the one thing that prevented the meta from spiraling out of control imo as now that it has gone Pinsir will wreak havoc and one of Mawile's best checks is gone, among other effects losing it will have. I am not happy with the community about this and it is something which really needs to be re-tested at some point in the future.
This person gets it.

PunSniperSylveon

Pokémon Champion
Donor
Credits
I don't see why a ban went through for Aegislash. It's not an easy poke to kill, but it is killable. Standard sets are becoming way too entrenched with little variation and it's the player's own fault for not anticipating an Aegislash.

Last edited:

MaliciousMango

Pokémon Champion
Donor
Credits
Smogon is out of control, and it's a shame how much this is going to impact the meta

Meruem

Pokémon Master
Trusted Seller
Donor
Credits
I only have two words for this ban.
Slippery Slope.

Matt_192

Official Server Crasher
Staff member
Admin
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Dex Contributor
Credits
Smogon is out of control, and it's a shame how much this is going to impact the meta
There's loads of Megas now in OU which Smogon will deem too 'OP:' Mawile, Char X, Char Y and Pinsir, to name a few

Matt_192

Official Server Crasher
Staff member
Admin
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Dex Contributor
Credits
I only have two words for this ban.
Slippery Slope.
Yep, the more things they ban, the more counters and checks they're taking away. At some point, we'll be banning Mega Gardevoir for practically no reason

Status
Not open for further replies.

testing