• IMPORTANT: The Buy/Sell forums are now for reference only; all shops are closed here. Please visit the new Marketplace for active buying and selling. Old sellers can access their previous shop links in these forums for setting up new shops in the Marketplace.

Active VGC 2015 Rules Announced!

Matt_192

Official Server Crasher
Staff member
Admin
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Dex Contributor
Credits
Earlier today, Nintendo finally leaked the rules for the upcoming VGC'15 season, and they are as follows:
  • These rules will be in all Regional, Nationals, Premier Challenges and finally Worlds throughout 2015. The rules are as follows
  • Only Pokémon Omega Ruby and Pokémon Alpha Sapphire Game Cards or downloadable versions are permitted for use.
  • The battle format is Double Battle
  • Players may use Pokémon from the National Pokédex, from No. 001–719, that are caught in the game, transferred from a previous Pokémon title, or received at an official event or distribution
  • The following Pokémon may not be on a player’s team: 150 – Mewtwo, 151 – Mew, 249 – Lugia, 250 – Ho-Oh, 251 – Celebi, 382 – Kyogre, 383 – Groudon, 384 – Rayquaza, 385 – Jirachi, 386 – Deoxys, 483 – Dialga, 484 – Palkia, 487 – Giratina, 489 – Phione, 490 – Manaphy, 491 – Darkrai, 492 – Shaymin, 493 – Arceus, 494 – Victini, 643 – Reshiram, 644 – Zekrom, 646 – Kyurem, 647 – Keldeo, 648 – Meloetta, 649 – Genesect, 716 – Xerneas, 717 – Yveltal, 718 – Zygarde, 719 – Diancie
  • Pokémon must be placed in the Battle Box.
  • Pokémon are allowed to Mega Evolve.
  • Pokémon may not hold the item Soul Dew.
  • Pokémon above Level 50 are permitted, but they are auto-leveled down to 50 for the duration of battle.
  • Players may use Pokémon with Hidden Abilities.
  • Players may use items that have been officially released via Pokémon X, Pokémon Y, Pokémon Omega Ruby, Pokémon Alpha Sapphire, the Pokémon Global Link, or an official event or promotion so the Pokémon must have the Blue Pentagon
  • These rules match the Battle Spot in Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire. The other standard rules for behaviour and conduct remain the same as past years
So what are your thoughts on the new ruleset? I, myself, am extremely excited to see the return of the National Dex for a VGC event, but this will mean #ReturnOfCress . Everything else seems to be relatively standard, but comment below on what you think will rise in usage as we come to the next season. One thing I do notice, however, is that it does not specifically state that Hoopa and Volcanion are banned - do you think that this means they are legal and will be released, or they will not get an event until after Worlds? Interesting speculation currently, and I will post my thoughts on Pokemon usage later. For now, cya.

Thanks to Serebii.net

AndromedaNexus

Lorekeeper
Donor
Credits
As for usage, last years meta was at its most centralizing due to a) Being limited to the Kalos Dex and b) Mega Kangaskhan.

Now, with the return of superstars such as Landy-thundy leads, Cresselia, Terrakion, and others; along with the release of the new Megan's(I'm looking at you, Mega Lopunny), and being able to use any non-banned Pokemon, this will be the most diverse meta we've had. I'm really looking forward to this upcoming VGC year.

Matt_192

Official Server Crasher
Staff member
Admin
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Dex Contributor
Credits
As for usage, last years meta was at its most centralizing due to a) Being limited to the Kalos Dex and b) Mega Kangaskhan.

Now, with the return of superstars such as Landy-thundy leads, Cresselia, Terrakion, and others; along with the release of the new Megan's(I'm looking at you, Mega Lopunny), and being able to use any non-banned Pokemon, this will be the most diverse meta we've had. I'm really looking forward to this upcoming VGC year.
Agreed, definitely - just try not to double post in future :]

Martin

I'm just kinda here
Donor
Credits
I'm glad at the lack of the VGC'09 rules on legends as it means that there is a lack of M-Ray...

I am also looking forward to seeing how the season evolves, what new threats appear and how the metagame evolves to meet these new threats. VGC'14 - a metagame which had a very limited selection of Pokemon that were usable - was still evolving long after worlds ended, so I can't wait to see what evolutions occur over the course of the next few years.

Matt_192

Official Server Crasher
Staff member
Admin
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Dex Contributor
Credits
I'm glad at the lack of the VGC'09 rules on legends as it means that there is a lack of M-Ray...

I am also looking forward to seeing how the season evolves, what new threats appear and how the metagame evolves to meet these new threats. VGC'14 - a metagame which had a very limited selection of Pokemon that were usable - was still evolving long after worlds ended, so I can't wait to see what evolutions occur over the course of the next few years.
It was VGC'10 that had legends btw, but I agree with everything you said about VGC'14 - what was good is that the best teams used completely random 'mons though.

Martin

I'm just kinda here
Donor
Credits
It was VGC'10 that had legends btw
'09 did too, but yea i was just stating the first year with those rules that came into my head XD

Matt_192

Official Server Crasher
Staff member
Admin
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Dex Contributor
Credits
'09 did too, but yea i was just stating the first year with those rules that came into my head XD
Pretty sure '08 did too - but I was just referencing the last year it happened.

testing