• IMPORTANT: The Buy/Sell forums are now for reference only; all shops are closed here. Please visit the new Marketplace for active buying and selling. Old sellers can access their previous shop links in these forums for setting up new shops in the Marketplace.

Rebirth of.. THE CONTEST MONS

PunSniperSylveon

Pokémon Champion
Donor
Credits
I don't know about y'all but perhaps one of my all-time favorite game mechanics is coming out soon. One of the reasons I got into Poke-breeding was specifically to breed CONTEST 'MONS!

Is there anyone else who's looking forward to this feature?

f1a4474076.png

PunSniperSylveon

Pokémon Champion
Donor
Credits
There's speculation online features will be available to hold contests against other Pokemon Coordinators. I'm iffy how it's going to work out though.. organizing a multi-battle is already a pain in the butt as it is..

Gold 2.0

The Immortal Dragon Underdog with a Heart of Steel
Staff member
Mod
Donor
Credits

PunSniperSylveon

Pokémon Champion
Donor
Credits
How does one Breed contest mons, though?
Contest Mons are bred specifically for contests. Their move sets rarely have any battling value, but when it comes to showcasing their moves in a contest it's best to breed for egg moves that will compliment the nature of the poke for the portion of the contest you're competing in.

d143b26c8e.png

Above is a breeding build I'm setting up for a Contest Sylveon.. though the data I pulled was from Gen 3's contest and there's no doubt ORAS will either throw out the appeal/jam values, or build from it.

The Sylveon will be Hasty to take full advantage of it's Cuteness condition during the move set portion of the contest.

Gold 2.0

The Immortal Dragon Underdog with a Heart of Steel
Staff member
Mod
Donor
Credits
Contest Mons are bred specifically for contests. Their move sets rarely have any battling value, but when it comes to showcasing their moves in a contest it's best to breed for egg moves that will compliment the nature of the poke for the portion of the contest you're competing in.

d143b26c8e.png

Above is a breeding build I'm setting up for a Contest Sylveon.. though the data I pulled was from Gen 3's contest and there's no doubt ORAS will either throw out the appeal/jam values, or build from it.

The Sylveon will be Hasty to take full advantage of it's Cuteness condition during the move set portion of the contest.
Ahh I see. This is something that I'm gonna wanna try and get involved with if this is true

Mawile6222

Pokémon Champion
Credits
Milotic and Aurorus will make excellent Beauty Contest winners. I have em both. I hope we can make move combinations and gradually unlock them for use in battles.

PunSniperSylveon

Pokémon Champion
Donor
Credits
As far as I know Combinations are still a thing for ORAS Contests. We just don't have any updates on any new combinations that have appeared since Gen3 & 4.

I'm ready to pounce on the data ASAP soon as it's dumped out the cartridges.

Dom

The People's Champ
Staff member
Admin
Trusted Seller
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Let It Reign
Iron Will
Credits
As far as I know Combinations are still a thing for ORAS Contests. We just don't have any updates on any new combinations that have appeared since Gen3 & 4.

I'm ready to pounce on the data ASAP soon as it's dumped out the cartridges.

I'm ready to get some beautiful Whimsicots and hopefully winning contests will produce something worth while

Martin

I'm just kinda here
Donor
Credits
I think that maybe double battle contests would be cool as they have always been excluded thus far, but the anime was hinting at the possibility of their existence for at least 6 seasons, and if they are included it would be a cool way of expanding the interest for breeding contest-specific 'mons for any competitive community that may arise from it.

Matt_192

Official Server Crasher
Staff member
Admin
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Dex Contributor
Credits
I was never really into contests in Gen 3 and 4. Sure I gave them a go, but I wasn't one of those people to go all in and breed proper contest mons. However, when I get my game on Friday, I plan to get some ready :)

JaxxyLupei

Youngster Joey
Credits
The contests was always a favorite of mine, that and the making of Pokeblocks, something I always missed in the later games.

testing