• IMPORTANT: The Buy/Sell forums are now for reference only; all shops are closed here. Please visit the new Marketplace for active buying and selling. Old sellers can access their previous shop links in these forums for setting up new shops in the Marketplace.

Active Official ORAS Tier Discussion

notsoclutch

Rare Breed
Donor
Let It Reign
Battler
Credits
May I ask if it's possible to have tier sub categories , like how useful, mostly seen, or even which item is best for the tiers?
We were working on a viability ranking. Lemme see if I can find it real quick.

Edit: Found it!

If you would like a more straightforward mentoring, I'd be happy to help too. Oh, and that viability ranking list is probably out of date.

Matt_192

Official Server Crasher
Staff member
Admin
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Dex Contributor
Credits
We were working on a viability ranking. Lemme see if I can find it real quick.

Edit: Found it!

If you would like a more straightforward mentoring, I'd be happy to help too. Oh, and that viability ranking list is probably out of date.
Good god that list needs updating xD

The issue I mainly see with viability rankings on PP for OU is that we barely ever change the tiers - there are no real drastic changes on the meta and it kinda keeps it stale :\

Axel Davis

Youngster Joey
Credits
Good god that list needs updating xD

The issue I mainly see with viability rankings on PP for OU is that we barely ever change the tiers - there are no real drastic changes on the meta and it kinda keeps it stale :\

LOL. The second I saw that MegaGross was S I knew that list was ancient.

Besides that I don't really see WHAT to change about the meta. The viability thread like smogon should constantly change because well, new strategies are constantly being made to deal with top tier threats. Aside from banning things (pls no) or bring stuff down :), there really isn't anything changeable at. Once we get some new toys with the inevitable new game, we'll get new power shifts, thus the meta will get some changes.

Axel Davis

Youngster Joey
Credits
When I was in the OU Chat on showdown, one of the mods said that the leaders at smogon should constantly test suspects each month (whether they are from ou or ubers) to see how they function in a controlled environment. This will help show what pokemon are fine where they are, and which can move either up or down.

Obviously that's a VERY simplified version and that idea would probably require a lot of work, but it's definitely an option.

notsoclutch

Rare Breed
Donor
Let It Reign
Battler
Credits

Besides that I don't really see WHAT to change about the meta. The viability thread like smogon should constantly change because well, new strategies are constantly being made to deal with top tier threats. Aside from banning things (pls no) or bring stuff down :), there really isn't anything changeable at. Once we get some new toys with the inevitable new game, we'll get new power shifts, thus the meta will get some changes.
Honestly, Scizor in B is the more concerning thing to me.

Edit: Although I guess Smogon has it in the same spot. I don't buy it at all though.

Last edited:

Matt_192

Official Server Crasher
Staff member
Admin
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Dex Contributor
Credits

MegaGross in S kinda does make sense. Sure, it loses matchups against things like Aegislash, but its coverage does especially well against the top tiers. The viability thread would change if people actually participated in it.

When I was in the OU Chat on showdown, one of the mods said that the leaders at smogon should constantly test suspects each month (whether they are from ou or ubers) to see how they function in a controlled environment. This will help show what pokemon are fine where they are, and which can move either up or down.

Obviously that's a VERY simplified version and that idea would probably require a lot of work, but it's definitely an option.
Finally, someone brought this up. I am a huge advocate of this idea - I think changing the meta around is key to keep things fresh and what not, but we need to get the server active again first.

Axel Davis

Youngster Joey
Credits
MegaGross in S kinda does make sense. Sure, it loses matchups against things like Aegislash, but its coverage does especially well against the top tiers. The viability thread would change if people actually participated in it.

Finally, someone brought this up. I am a huge advocate of this idea - I think changing the meta around is key to keep things fresh and what not, but we need to get the server active again first.

If we want more people to actively participate, we got to advertise better. The best way to do this would probably be to take advantage of the gym challenge. It seems that everyone into competitive goes there yet never thinks to check over here. It could take a VERY long time, but we could make this community renown with enough work. The server up and running would definitely speed up this process.

Kitgurl66

Pokémon Trainer
Credits
If we want more people to actively participate, we got to advertise better. The best way to do this would probably be to take advantage of the gym challenge. It seems that everyone into competitive goes there yet never thinks to check over here. It could take a VERY long time, but we could make this community renown with enough work. The server up and running would definitely speed up this process.
I agree with Axel on advertising better; I hope everybody likes this idea too.

Matt_192

Official Server Crasher
Staff member
Admin
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Dex Contributor
Credits
The issue is where we advertise. It's difficult to get investments from doulie to do advertisement, and we already do advertise on social media as well as in Showdown IM, but the success rates are proven to be rather low unfortunately.

Axel Davis

Youngster Joey
Credits
The issue is where we advertise. It's difficult to get investments from doulie to do advertisement, and we already do advertise on social media as well as in Showdown IM, but the success rates are proven to be rather low unfortunately.

I understand. For such a digital world, networking is still as hard as ever. Anyway I could help with the effort?

notsoclutch

Rare Breed
Donor
Let It Reign
Battler
Credits
I understand. For such a digital world, networking is still as hard as ever. Anyway I could help with the effort?
Feel free to tell your friends. I'm not sure what all else a single individual can do. If you have any ideas, definitely tell Doulie about it and see what he has to say.

Bruh

Pokémon Trainer
Credits
So, I am guessing this is it, Matt? If not let me know. I want to apply, well kinda, I am a little skeptical because of how it works. My highest peaks are 1812 ELO for OU and 1734 ELO in UU. Although that was a few months ago and due to a reasonably large hiatus from Competitive Pokemon, I am not at that level anymore. I lost my account because well, I simply forgot my password lol. Kinda sucks since I take some pride with that ELO :(. Can I get a brief updated bio on how this Council works? I am trying to get a hold of the current meta as fast as I can so I can peak up to 1900 ELO, its my goal and I think this will help, maybe :).

Matt_192

Official Server Crasher
Staff member
Admin
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Dex Contributor
Credits
So, I am guessing this is it, Matt? If not let me know. I want to apply, well kinda, I am a little skeptical because of how it works. My highest peaks are 1812 ELO for OU and 1734 ELO in UU. Although that was a few months ago and due to a reasonably large hiatus from Competitive Pokemon, I am not at that level anymore. I lost my account because well, I simply forgot my password lol. Kinda sucks since I take some pride with that ELO :(. Can I get a brief updated bio on how this Council works? I am trying to get a hold of the current meta as fast as I can so I can peak up to 1900 ELO, its my goal and I think this will help, maybe :).
Aha sure lol, and yeah, this is the right place :)

The job of the tiering council was originally to sort all of the Pokemon into 'tiers' which separate how good Pokemon are, but I'm sure you know all of that already. Now that we've done all of that, our current job is to raise discussion on current things in the metagame, such as 'Is [Insert Pokemon here] broken/ban-worthy in this tier?', 'Could this Pokemon job drop down to a lower tier?', 'Is [Insert Mechanic here] making the game uncompetitive?' etc. From this, we talk about them and have a vote to move Pokemon/Items up and down the tier list (I say items as I'm referring to Mega Stones and the like).

However, now that we have gen 7 confirmed for the end of the year, it's clear to say we'll have a big job to try and sort all of those Pokemon, as well as look at the shifts in the metagame, upon its release :p

Bruh

Pokémon Trainer
Credits
Sounds pretty solid. And what might happen with Gen 7 is going to be somewhat interesting from a competitive standpoint. I would love to help in anyway really, as I am increasing my activity here on this site. I wouldn't mind joining the council if you'll have me. Good luck to any in the tournament as I am making my first debut as well. Hopefully I can snag that tourney. :)

Martin

I'm just kinda here
Donor
Credits
As a returning council member, I have talked to Matt and will be re-joining the council and resuming my duties as the NFE co-leader. I look forward to working with the current council to help create a balanced series of metagames for us to all enjoy.

Matt_192

Official Server Crasher
Staff member
Admin
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Dex Contributor
Credits
As a returning council member, I have talked to Matt and will be re-joining the council and resuming my duties as the NFE co-leader. I look forward to working with the current council to help create a balanced series of metagames for us to all enjoy.
@notsoclutch @ericashes we good with this scrublord being back in?

Bruh

Pokémon Trainer
Credits
I would love to join really, but before I apply, I got a question. So, if they are divided into tiers, what tiers are available?

Matt_192

Official Server Crasher
Staff member
Admin
Will Not Fall
Donor
Friendzilla
Journalist
Iron Will
Dex Contributor
Credits
I would love to join really, but before I apply, I got a question. So, if they are divided into tiers, what tiers are available?
Ubers, OU (Overused), UU (Underused), RU (Rarelyused), NU (Neverused), PU (Doesn't have a translation - I prefer "Pretty Useless"), NFE (Not Fully Evolved - PP only) and LC (Little Cup)

Check out our banlist for the Pokemon that go in which tiers :)

Bruh

Pokémon Trainer
Credits
Alright there are some differences compared to Showdown which is pretty interesting :). Are there are any designated tiers that cannot be taken over because someone already owns them?